IGNORED

Barbacks/2005 RT

Lawman

To install the Moto-techniques type like I have, you need a #45 Torx driver and a 6mm or 1/4" Allen driver. That's it.

You remove the 4 existing Torx bolts on each bar, then slip the bar-back in it's place and secure with supplied Allen head bolts. Then you take your original Torx bolts and bolt the bar onto the bar-back. About a 10-minute job at most.

Do one side at a time, put a couple of garage-towels around the area first to prevent scratches when set the bar down to do up the bolts on the bar-back.

I attached a photo of what it looks like installed. There are actually 2 more Allen bolts on each side than what you can see, but they are covered up by the bar itself when re-installed. thumbsup.gif

614115-barback.jpg.232fc2eaae387a91b10bf909ccd952fa.jpg

Great! Looks like a simple install, those instructions and the picture are very helpful. How much should I tighten them on? Have the barbacks improved your riding comfort? Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Great! Looks like a simple install, those instructions and the picture are very helpful. How much should I tighten them on? Have the barbacks improved your riding comfort? Thanks! thumbsup.gif

These particular ones bring the bar grips back nearly an inch, and up close to that as well. I'm 5'10", but have kind of shorter arms and legs for my height so these helped me considerably. It's that much less forward leaning and less pressure on the hands. It definitely helped my comfort level.

The BMW specs call for 19Nm for the stock bolts to the frame, so I used that spec for the new bolts as well. Moto-techniques did not specify otherwise.

I also had to put a set of risers on my '05 RT.

I tried it for a while stock but was getting pains in the shoulders and neck.

Even for an RT, the bars are too far down for my taste.

It is a lot more comfortable now.

Rich

Archived