IGNORED

Battery Dying

Woodsey

Hi,

I have an 06 R1200RT that I am just starting up from it's winter rest. I have always kept the battery charged, using a trickle charger.

Switch on the key, all proceeds as normal, lights on, horn will sound loudly. Press starter and I hear a loud click. Motor does not turn over at all.

Should the battery be replaced? What to look at?

Thanks for any assistance.

Woodsey

dirtrider

Afternoon Woodsey

If that bike still has the original battery then it definitely should be replaced regardless if that is the problem or not.

As to your problem-- it might just be a dead battery or just a poor connection at one of the battery cables to the battery so check the battery cable to battery attachments for being tight & corrosion free.

Other than the above if battery is still good & the connections are clean & tight then it could be anything from a gummed up starter, to a tight engine, to a bad starter relay, to poor ground connections, to ????

Maybe try jumping from a car (car engine not running) as that will yea nay the battery as the problem.

Or check battery voltage while trying to start (should be 9.6 v or above cranking) but if it won't crank you won't get full starter load. If below 9.6 v while even trying to crank definitely a battery or connection problem.

Archived