IGNORED

Can you lower an 1100RT

Splais

The easiest way is to fit shorter shocks. Wilburs sell them as do Hagon. I have 20mm (3/4 inch) lower shocks on my RT.

Many folk then shorten the stands to suit - I did not bother, the sidestand now leans less than before. When I want to use the mainstand, I roll the rear wheel onto a 20mm board and it goes up easily.

Andy

How much is too much?

I don't have any personal experience with lowering, but it seems the two main options are seat and or suspension.

Sargent WS-511 "Low" seat option. See this link from a satisfied user:

http://www.motorcycleforumz.com/Sargent-WS511-quot-Low-quot-Seat-BMW-R1100RT-R1150RT-ftopict133401.html

I have no affiliation. (I'm one of the rare people that think the stock R1100RT seat is the most comfortable seat ever!)

Hyper-pro spring kits (need front and rear). See this PDF and find the R1100RT for pricing.

http://www.epmperf.com/price-lists/lowering%20springs%2002-12.pdf

Again, no affiliation. I'd have reservations about changing the suspension. What does it do to handling, suspension travel, putting the bike on center-stand, etc.? But I can understand not being comfortable with a tall, top-heavy bike like the RT. Add a passenger, top box, and a full tank of gas, and it's a challenge.

What do you use for foot-wear? Would taller soled boots help? You may have to adjust the shift and brake mechanisms. There may be lowering kits for those too.

Talk to a tire expert. Is there a brand with a lower profile?

Good luck!

Dave Parry

I think there will be problems with suspension travel if the front shock is shortened. When I first got my R1100RT I couldn't understand why the front end was so hard, to cut a long story short I discovered the previous owner had fitted a shock from an R1100R. That bike has a softer spring, presumably due to it's lighter weight, this meant that mine was only just off the bump-stop so the slightest bit of suspension travel meant the front end was hitting the stop!

Dave.

I think there will be problems with suspension travel if the front shock is shortened.

Not if you buy shortened shocks that are specifically made and sprung for an RT. Companies like Ohlins, Hyperpro, Wilbers and Works Performance all make shorter shocks for the RT. If they are properly built and sprung for an RT, then there will be no issues at all. The only thing it should effect is your ground clearance. If it is built properly you should get a shorter shock, but with the same mount of travel.

To the OP........The only negative effects would be less ground clearance (not really an issue on an RT), and how it effects the side stand and center stand. It will make the bike sit a little more upright on the side stand, and it will make it a little more difficult to get it up onto the center stand. Any decent welder would be able to shorten the the stands for you if you wish. If you are buying aftermarket shocks new, they are a pretty expensive. That being said, I ran Works Shocks on my RT and I think they were the best money I spent on my RT. The main reason being that I'm heavier than the stock suspension could handle, and I tend to ride at a rather spirited pace. I would keep an eye out in the classifieds here, over at ibmwr.org, and Ebay for a slightly used pair that are set up for a shorter rider.

Dave Parry

From memory I thought the bump-stop was seperate from the shock in which case a shorter shock would reduce the available suspension travel, my appologies if that's not the case, it's quite a while sice I had cause to look at my front suspension!

Dave.

Yes.

The hard part is raising the bikes for those of us who find them too short.

;)

Some folks find a 1/2" supplement to boots works wonders.

Dave Parry

---------------

I reckon that would be the simplest remedy,

Dave.

---------------

I reckon that would be the simplest remedy,

Dave.

1/2 inch Blakeys! Money maker for anyone who decided to sell these.

Don Beissel

I am 5' 10" and ride my R1100RT at standard height with the seat set as high as it will go. No problem at all. Both feet touch flat on the pavement.

I have a 32 inch inseam.

Paul Mihalka
I am 5' 10" and ride my R1100RT at standard height with the seat set as high as it will go. No problem at all. Both feet touch flat on the pavement.

I have a 32 inch inseam.

We are all built different. I am 5'11" (used to be about 6' even :) ) but with a 30" inseam.

Don Beissel

I have a 32 inch inseam.

We are all built different. I am 5'11" (used to be about 6' even :) ) but with a 30" inseam.

I don't actually have the seat that high for comfort when stopped. I used to ride a cruiser and could touch the ground flat footed with my knees bent on it.

I have the seat that high so my knees are comfortable on long rides!

Still, it is the most comfortable bike that I have ever ridden.

Without spending too much money? Is it even doable?

What height are you?

What is you inside leg measurement?

Have you had the bike long?

Archived