IGNORED

WW II Weekend, Reading PA, June

RockBottom

beemerman2k

DSC_6746.jpg

Nice pictures!

I started a thread on this forum, must be 10 years ago now, questioning our allegiance to BMW motorcycles, given the role they played in WW2. I had just seen the movie, "Saving Private Ryan", and I was so disturbed I didn't touch my R1100RT for 2 weeks! I got online here and voiced my discomfort with the brand, and in fact with Germany in general.

The consensus, after many pages of discussion/debate, was that that was then, this is now. Germany paid for its sins, and time has moved on. Today, that nation does a world of good to many of the very nations and people they once sought to oppress and destroy.

In any case, as much as I do love these vintage BMW bikes, every time I see one I am reminded of my "Saving Private Ryan" experience.

Paul Mihalka

In a war there are no real winners. No side has all good people or all bad people. I was bombed by B17 and B24 bombers and strafed by P38 Lightnings. Today I love to look them up in museums. At the end usually all the war criminals are only the loosing side.

Back to Reading: I work on Saturdays. RockBottom: What is a better day to visit: Friday or Sunday?

RockBottom
Back to Reading: I work on Saturdays. RockBottom: What is a better day to visit: Friday or Sunday?

I'd guess Friday.

The BMW with sidecar brought back some memories. I have always wondered if a Maico 250 a high school friend and I bought very cheaply had been in WWII. It looked suspiciously like the Military BMW without a sidecar or second seat. We never got it running but it was fun anyway looking back on it. Thing weighed a LOT for a 250 and I am guessing the rig in the picture grossed about 700+ lbs maybe? The next bike was a race wrecked Bonneville that did run eventually. Yes, an old race prepped Bonnie would do 110 mph on the just opened I-70. No it did not have a speedometer, the Plymouth Satellite we were racing told us the speed later. Yes I was stupid back then. Two high school kids with no particular mechanical skills putting a wreck back together... Duh, wonder I lived this long. By the way neither bike had anything like an actual Title to get a plate with???

Archived