IGNORED

Does this sound like a good deal?

Dave_in_TX

Dave_in_TX

The local dealer currently has a used 2011 R1200RT for sale with only 1700 miles on it. It's fairly loaded (ESA, stereo, TPMS, heated seat and grips, etc.) and seems to have all options except ASC . Asking price is $18500. They've offered me $6000 for my 07 R1200RT in trade. Considering that my 07 has 140k miles on it, that seems like a good trade-in to me. There's a few options I don't need but around here, finding a late model that isn't loaded is difficult.

Any thoughts on this?

The important factor there is the color. Since it is the gray/silver color then it is a good deal.

Wrong color, bad deal.

However, you are paying a bit extra for that stripey paint job. The option price on that is retail $650. But, you will get far more attention to the bike with that, so it's probably worth it.

If I was in your shoes, I would do it. Maybe make an all cash offer a bit lower, or ask for a gear allowance included.

dc

And the large top box? Yes, worth it. But I wouldn't need the radio.

Dave_in_TX
The important factor there is the color. Since it is the gray/silver color then it is a good deal.

Wrong color, bad deal.

However, you are paying a bit extra for that stripey paint job. The option price on that is retail $650. But, you will get far more attention to the bike with that, so it's probably worth it.

If I was in your shoes, I would do it. Maybe make an all cash offer a bit lower, or ask for a gear allowance included.

dc

And the large top box? Yes, worth it. But I wouldn't need the radio.

I forgot to mention the top box. I don't need it because I'm going to use my Givi E52 (it has more interior space in a smaller external package, is more aerodynamic, and matches the bike better) but it does add the the value. If I make the purchase I'll try to sell the top box.

Actually, the thing I'd probably get the least use out of is the ESA. Based on a test ride, someone my size probably doesn't need to get out of the comfort mode (even in the twisties) unless carrying a passenger.

140Kmiles?

Even with BMW's reputation of reliability you would have to expect some major costs soon (final drive/clutch etc).

The top box would get you back somewhere around $600,-?

So that would be coming back of the price.

I am a lightweight rider and even on single rider setting, I would certainly change the setting to a minimum of "normal" instead of "comfort" in twisties.

Play with the ESA and you might find that you will be using it a lot more often then you think.

The reason you think that you won't be using it, is that you are conditioned into putting up with one setting, since who would pull over in the middle of a ride to fiddle with knobs under the seat multiple times in a single trip.

More important....how much warranty does it have???

Dave_in_TX
140Kmiles?

Even with BMW's reputation of reliability you would have to expect some major costs soon (final drive/clutch etc).

The top box would get you back somewhere around $600,-?

So that would be coming back of the price.

I am a lightweight rider and even on single rider setting, I would certainly change the setting to a minimum of "normal" instead of "comfort" in twisties.

Play with the ESA and you might find that you will be using it a lot more often then you think.

The reason you think that you won't be using it, is that you are conditioned into putting up with one setting, since who would pull over in the middle of a ride to fiddle with knobs under the seat multiple times in a single trip.

More important....how much warranty does it have???

The 2011 has about a year and a half left on the factory warranty. I agree that with 140k miles on my 07 that FD and clutch could soon be an issue with the rate that it is accumulating miles, that's why I'm considering moving to the 2011. That's also why I personally feel that $6k is a reasonable trade-in allowance even though it's much less than blue book.

Warranty til 9/25/13.

The only way you will get top dollar for your old bike is to sell to a private seller. That involves advertising, then waiting, then sorting the chafe from the wheat in terms of showing it, and getting cash, and issues of test rides. And, with 140k you may well not get a lot of whole wheat cash buyers.

Someone on maybe even this forum may buy the top box fast, maybe not for $600 but a reasonable price.

Maybe the radio too.

I think the sound of the engine is far more beautiful than anything the radio could blast out, including Brahms, Beethoven, Bach and Bartok, et alia.

I say go for it.

dc

Shiny Side Up

At 140k, your bike certainly didn't sit around while the rubber stuff dry rotted - did it??!!

A pretty good gauge to go by is that you get a dime on trade for every dollar you spent on any accessory you've added. There isn't a motorcyle manufacturer around that isn't "proud" of their goodies and don't mind charging us top dollar (and a little more) if you want it all to fit exactly and give your bike "the look".

That said - David 13 is right - I'm a sucker for silver - I'd buy it!

markgoodrich

On the other hand, Dave, those potential repairs to get you another 140k miles wouldn't be anywhere near the cost of that bike. Just saying....

If I was looking for a low mileage bike like that one, I'd check other dealers before plunking down the money...I paid a lot less at Sandia BMW in ABQ than LS offered me, but then that was five years ago. A LOT less.

Dave_in_TX

Mark, Thanks for the input. I've already thought about most of those points.

On the other hand, Dave, those potential repairs to get you another 140k miles wouldn't be anywhere near the cost of that bike. Just saying....

Yes, it would be less expensive but it would still be a lot of money partriculary if I replaced those items preemptively rather than waiting for them to fail. Besides FD and clutch, there's wheel bearings, brake rotors, etc.

If I was looking for a low mileage bike like that one, I'd check other dealers before plunking down the money...I paid a lot less at Sandia BMW in ABQ than LS offered me, but then that was five years ago. A LOT less.

I did a CycleTrader search recently of 2011 R1200RTs. Prices ranged form $17500 for a "bare bones" low version to over $18900. Lonestar's 2011 is priced competitively even without figuring in the time and expense of doing a "fly and ride" to get a bike elsewhere. I was also able to take Lonestar's bike out by myself for an extended test ride.

CoarsegoldKid

Actually, the thing I'd probably get the least use out of is the ESA. Based on a test ride, someone my size probably doesn't need to get out of the comfort mode (even in the twisties) unless carrying a passenger.

What twisties?

Dave_in_TX

What twisties?

???????????????????????????? :S

He's just trying to make a little slur on Texas about having only straight flat roads, particularly compared to where he lives with foothill and mountain roads with twists and turns and elevation.

Now, it's Tuesday, and Lone Star is open. At any moment, someone will walk in and buy that bike you were looking at. If you were thinking about it, now is the time to do it, before someone else does.

Make a low offer, cash, on it. They will come down, you may have to go up on price, but then you will be riding.

dc

Dave_in_TX
He's just trying to make a little slur on Texas about having only straight flat roads, particularly compared to where he lives with foothill and mountain roads with twists and turns and elevation.

A common misconception about central Texas. However, we do have roads with twists, turns and elevation changes. :thumbsup:

Now, it's Tuesday, and Lone Star is open. At any moment, someone will walk in and buy that bike you were looking at. If you were thinking about it, now is the time to do it, before someone else does.

Make a low offer, cash, on it. They will come down, you may have to go up on price, but then you will be riding.

dc

Actually, I put a hold on the 2011 at the advice of Limecreek who happened to be there at the time. Making an all cash offer would mean having to try selling my high mileage 07 myself.

Dave_in_TX

I called Lonestar today and told them I'd take their deal. Thanks to everyone for their advice (even devil's advocate Mark).

Congrats on the new steed! Did you work with Dean? He sold me my RT when he worked for Sandia BMW in Albuquerque.

Dave_in_TX
Congrats on the new steed! Did you work with Dean? He sold me my RT when he worked for Sandia BMW in Albuquerque.

Yes, I did work with Dean on this one.

Joe,

If you haven't done so already (if you have, then your sarcasm worked :P !), come on down to the Hill Country mate. I'll show you some twisties ;)

Phil,

it isn't the twisties, its the altitude.

:grin:

JK Joe.

Many areas have roads that are fun to ride.

Some have altitude and twisties like the Sierras.

Some don't.

I enjoy riding them all.

:wave:

Hey Tim :wave: ,

Oooooooh! Now I get it :clap: !

They all have altitude sickness out there, which explains a lot :rofl: !

Archived