IGNORED

Nippy Norman's HID (Xenon) ??

ttsakai

Hi All-

Wondering if anyone on this forum has purchased their HID (Xenon) headlight from Nippy Normans? For those of you who have not seen it, go to http://www.nippynormans.com

They offer Xenon headlight products specifically for each BMW model. Their pricing is pretty high with the currency exchange rate ($400+ USD) and I was wondering how this product compares to offerings from xenonfactory.com, or xenondepot.com which are more generic motorcycle offerings but are priced from $175 - 199.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Do your research...lot's of different options and opinions out there. Not curiously...everyone seems to bash and discredit everyone else's products.

FWIW, they ARE illegal. No spliting hairs here. Currently, the enforcement efforts are on suppliers and importers. Of course, they're hitting the big folks first. I have had HID in mine, high and low, for over a year...love 'em. Never had an issue, and I've had a roadside conversation or two. Still, beware...

Not only are they illegal (insofar as that's an issue smile.gif ) but headlight reflectors designed for halogen bulbs usually don't work well with HID bulbs. The light source is a different shape and location and orientation, and the effects (depending on the particular setup) range from horrible glare that blinds oncoming traffic to black holes in the headlight beam where you can't see anything. Some bikes and some HID bulbs work OK, some bikes and some bulbs are useless.

Not only are they illegal (insofar as that's an issue smile.gif ) but headlight reflectors designed for halogen bulbs usually don't work well with HID bulbs. The light source is a different shape and location and orientation, and the effects (depending on the particular setup) range from horrible glare that blinds oncoming traffic to black holes in the headlight beam where you can't see anything. Some bikes and some HID bulbs work OK, some bikes and some bulbs are useless.

Yup, all of that too. I've had good results with mine, but as Ebbie sez, you cannot be sure as the bulbs are "re-based" meaning the base of the bulb is machined in order to fit where your H1, H3, H4 or what have you used to reside.

While I said I was happy with my setup, and I am, I wouldn't do the high beam again for the reasons above...it's not quite straight, nor is it focused as well as the stock bulb. Bright? Yes. Controlled beam? Not quite. But then again, my riding isn't all that controlled so it works OK... grin.gif

Sometimes it's good to have that light splattered all over the road so you can see where you're weaving? grin.gif

Certainly helps when you drop a contact lense on the mapcase. Hard to find without that great light! grin.gif

Ooops, sorry! I just saw your question. I placed my ballast in the areas where the speakers would normally go. The ignitors are pretty small and easy to locate.

I got mine from a guy with an eBay store:

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZzgperformance

I've had great luck with them. He will split kits, so make sure you ask. You're looking for either a 4500K or 5000K, nothing more as it will be purple or worse.

He does have a 3000K...not sure about it.

Hello,

I don't know if you can open this picture, but it's a xenon convertionkit with a 6500K lamp. web page

In a few weeks i'll be installing a kit like that in my R1150RT 2002.

It will cost me about 140 Euro's witch is about the same in Dollars.

Greets STEF cool.gif

Archived