IGNORED

Just when you thought it couldn't get any better!

Lineareagle

Hate to see that happen, but, over 80 mph, poor lines,

riding faster than sight allowed, missed an escape opportunity...

Agreed, very poor lines. Also, the bike was leaning too far over for those mild corners = poor technique. Needs to get his butt to a Ridesmart class :)

I could be wrong, but what bothers me the most is that it looks like he wasn't alone. If you look at the shadow on the left of the bike at the 0:20 mark, it looks like he was riding 2-up as well. If that was the case, then the irresponsibility is off the chart.

Yup. The speedometer is defintely in kph, so the speed at impact shows 80 KPH (50mph). What it doesn't show is the speed he was cruising at before he froze up and kissed the fender. With the speedo blanked out, all you can see is the tach. His RPM dropped by 1500 right before impact. Its hard to guess exactly how fast he was traveling before he saw the car, but I would guess 65-70mph. Thats a rough guess with no math behind it :grin:

Yup. The speedometer is defintely in kph, so the speed at impact shows 80 KPH (50mph). What it doesn't show is the speed he was cruising at before he froze up and kissed the fender. With the speedo blanked out, all you can see is the tach. His RPM dropped by 1500 right before impact. Its hard to guess exactly how fast he was traveling before he saw the car, but I would guess 65-70mph. Thats a rough guess with no math behind it :grin:

There were two on the bike. Speed before impact was approximately 100KPH. The car did the classic roll stop into the road and was probably blinded by the sunlight. It was an accident in the making.

The translation from Slovenian into English is an interesting bit of reading...

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sl&u=http://www.motosvet.com/motorji-zanimivosti-kronika.html&ei=N6OiT_W0B-nPiAKp_JnZBw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CEUQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3DUrgenca.%2BPravim,%2Bda%2Bni%2Bpanike,%2Ble%2B%25C5%25A1korenj%2Bbi%2Bdal%2Bdol.%2BUps,%2Bneka%2Bvelika%2Bluknja%2Bje%2Bv%2Bnogi.%2BKako%2Bto%2Bto,%2Bda%2Bme%2Bni%2Bbolelo%253F%2BLuknja%2Bje%2Bdo%2Bkosti.%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R2PRFB_enUS476%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D594%26prmd%3Dimvnso

John Bentall

+ poor highway engineering.

I could not see any changes in paint on the road - no hazard lines to indicate a junction.

No obvious fingerpost or marker to indicate an approaching junction.

plus a poor line through some of the bends.

This serves to remind us all that riding through quiet rural areas is just as dangerous as heavy city traffic.

Being a new rider myself, help me with this. What do you mean by poor lines? I watched the video several times and I'm not sure what you mean. My criticism would be that he was going too fast around blind turns. Good lines or bad lines he was going to smack into that car. Just trying to learn. :)

John,

You'll be in great hands w/the offer above.

My comment, short version :grin: , tried to convey my impression that the rider was all over the place, putting the bike in poor location relative to speed and was not focused

on the task.

About a second elapses from seeing the vehicle to colision.

If he had been setting up better lines and speed I think he could have at least tried to go left up the hill/driveway

and avoided the impact.

It was obvious the road had blind spots and the rider disregarded that.

20-30mph slower and who knows.

Set up more to the left and slower I think it was a near miss.

Who knows?

Enjoy the mountains.

:thumbsup:

Archived