IGNORED

2004 1150RTP starting/running problems

rtp

Last summer on the last day, after a 5000 mile trip to Barber and the dragon, I filled up (in the rain) and the bike started to hesitate. Figured bad fuel. Got home and put in all kids of fuel dry and anything else I thought might dry up. Next tank of fuel it was better but every once in a while it would hesitate again. Different speeds different rpms but almost like I came right off the throttle and back on. This year I rode a couple miles to work. Bike was hard to start..lots of cranking before she fired. twice on the way to work she just died..very sudden. When to leave work and she started fine but only drive to the end of the parking lot..dead..wouldnt start at all.

Took off the tank and replaced the fuel filter (did the external mod). Bench tested the fuel pump. Got it back on and tested. Still no start. Confirmed the pump was running on key turn and confirmed fuses were good. Next to check fuel at injector and spark (I can't see losing spark from all 4 plugs at once thought).

Did try to start with ether and had a bad thing happen. Buddy sprayed while I cranked. BIG blowback/backfire? Ignited the ether thru the intake. Buddy lost some hair hehehe..Could this be the HES? I've read its pretty rare on the dual sparks? Anything else I should think of checking?

4wheeldog

It did fire on the ether (As evidenced by your buddy's hair loss). If you have water in the bottom of the tank, it would account for your problem. Did you drain the tank when you did the filter? If not, use a small diameter piece of tubing to siphon some fuel from as low in the tank as you can get it, on the right side. If there is water, you will be able to see the separation in a jar. You should only have to siphon out a half gallon at most to eliminate the problem. It only takes about 8oz of water to screw things up........DAMHIK.

Kinda fired on ether..in that it ignited the ether thru the air filter (sans element), but didnt run (guess there would be ignition eh).

Tank was totally drained, even ragged the inside as far as I could reach. Bone dry when I was finished. Draining that tank is a pain...going to invest in a siphon pump if I have to take it off again.

Galactic Greyhound
Kinda fired on ether..in that it ignited the ether thru the air filter (sans element), but didnt run (guess there would be ignition eh).

Tank was totally drained, even ragged the inside as far as I could reach. Bone dry when I was finished. Draining that tank is a pain...going to invest in a siphon pump if I have to take it off again.

Sounds like you made sure there was no water left in the tank and replacing the fuel filter would also eliminate a water-clogged filter causing the problem.

Pull the leads off the main plugs each side and measure the resistance from the lead on one side to the lead on the other side - you should get around 20 Kohms - this checks both plug leads and the ignition Coil secondary winding.

Next, ground both main plug bodies securely using large alligator clips on short lengths of wire - crank over the engine and look at each plug in turn. The sparking should be consistent as the engine turns over - when my HES went, the plugs sparked for a couple of seconds only at first then failed.

For sure not water in the tank. I totally drained and cleaned the tank when I did the external fuel filter mod. I had thought water initially so I made extra sure the tank was clean and empty before putting the pump back in. Going to pull the HES out this weekend if time permits and bench test it.

HES is a decent guess since you've got a known good filter and fresh gas. You have confirmed you have fuel flow at the injectors, no? Have you confirmed a good solid spark at the plug?

Anyone with an older oil head should have a spare HES sitting around since they are known to die and simple to replace.

My HES died after 100K miles and conveniently in the garage.

Sometimes instead of shot in the dark trouble shoot by email the dealer can really help. Keeps them in business, you know.

I've not had a chance to double check fuel at the injector or spark yet. But jumping ahead, I would think that if it was fuel, the bike would've started with the ether, and if it was spark, the ether wouldn't have ignited (abet lighting my friend on fire). That leads me to messed up timing, which is the realm of the hes no? I was hesitant to think the hes right off because from what I've read on the board, they don't poop on the duals and later as much. I'm hunting around the get the sensors and wire anyway..figure I should have my ducks lined up so if it proves bad I can fix it as quick as possible..

BMW_pingvinen

I would go for the HES as well. Sound a lot like my own trouble, taht was gone after replacing that part. I think they detoriate due to the heat.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Thought I'd post an update in case anyone has similar symptoms.

Ended up being the HES. Took the old one out, everything looked fine, stripped the wire cover off and one of the wires was broken..Reviewed the how to on the HES and chickened out, ordered one online. Bing bang boom and the bike is back on the road. kept the old one to try and play with, will keep it as a spare just in case. Also did the fuel filter mod since I had everything apart. Should make life alot easier.

Archived