IGNORED

Is today national bad driving day?

Caddis

So I'm driving (in my car) along a 50 mph two lane road. Coming the other way, I see a van pull out into my lane to pass the car in front of him. The problem is, there is not enough room for the van to complete the pass before he hits me. Fortunately, there was a nice wide paved shoulder, so I slow down and pull over onto the shoulder. As we pass each other, the van has made it past the car, but is still mostly in my lane. What was this driver thinking?

A few minutes later, I'm heading up a busy two lane canyon road, and several cars in front of me, someone is going 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit with a line of cars are piling up behind it. There are plenty of places to pull over and let people go by, but that doesn't happen. When we get to a section with a passing lane, clearly marked with a sign that says "Keep right except to pass", this person stays in the left lane and speeds up - a lot. A couple of people manage to get by in the right lane anyway, but as soon as the passing lane disappears, the car slows down again to below the speed limit. A couple of minutes later we come to another passing zone and exactly the same thing happens. The car speeds up and stays in the left lane, followed by slowing down again when the lane disappears. Oblivious, I guess.

Then on my way back home, on a four lane section of the road (two lanes each way), a guy passes me, pulls in front of me in my lane, and then slows down quickly. There are no other cars near by, so I pull into the left lane and go on by him at the same speed that I have been going all along. Pretty soon he comes flying up from behind in the left lane, and as soon as he gets right next to me, he hits the brakes and stays right next to me for a bit. Then he zooms forward some more, and keeps changing his speed up and down, even through heavier traffic. Weird.

Why am I posting this? Just ranting. And wondering if I missed the memo saying that this is national bad driving day...

I would like to think it's only today. But it isn't. I went out today. Sunday. Not much traffic in some areas. But so what. They still are driving like ... FRANTIC!

Racing like crazy to get around the other cars, only to stomp on the brakes at the end of the block, and the red light.

Repeat indefinitely.

Race, race, race. Stomp on the brakes.

Absolutely zero concept of a moderate pace. Or the basic laws of physics. A body at rest tends to stay at rest. A body in motion tends to stay in motion.

Build the momentum by flooring it. Then lose it all by stomping the brakes to a complete stop.

Insanity.

dc

Pick a day...any day. 24/7 in the Atlanta area where you never EVER enter an intersection just because the light in your lane changed to green.

Kevin, I'm real glad that last guy didn't do anything further to you. It's curious and you wonder just what is going on in that drivers head?

I am convinced that there are people driving on the roadways who are not in their right minds. I know first hand that something is very wrong out there.

This story just appeared on the news, reporting that a driver swerved to hit two bicyclists. Right around the 3 minute mark

Kathy

There was a case here a few years ago where a doctor, a full fledged, practicing, licensed md pulled in front of two bicyclist on a canyon road, downhill, and stomped on the brakes. He later readily admitted to police he clearly intended bodily harm to them. At least one was seriously injured. I believe he was sentenced to 5 years in prison.

dc

Kathy

There was a case here a few years ago where a doctor, a full fledged, practicing, licensed md pulled in front of two bicyclist on a canyon road, downhill, and stomped on the brakes. He later readily admitted to police he clearly intended bodily harm to them. At least one was seriously injured. I believe he was sentenced to 5 years in prison.

dc

http://laist.com/2008/07/07/road_rage_motorist_vs_cyclists_on_m.php

Danny caddyshack Noonan
A few minutes later, I'm heading up a busy two lane canyon road, and several cars in front of me, someone is going 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit with a line of cars are piling up behind it. There are plenty of places to pull over and let people go by, but that doesn't happen. When we get to a section with a passing lane, clearly marked with a sign that says "Keep right except to pass", this person stays in the left lane and speeds up - a lot. A couple of people manage to get by in the right lane anyway, but as soon as the passing lane disappears, the car slows down again to below the speed limit. A couple of minutes later we come to another passing zone and exactly the same thing happens. The car speeds up and stays in the left lane, followed by slowing down again when the lane disappears. Oblivious, I guess.

I feel your pain. That is Hwy 50 to or from Lake Tahoe on most days.

The lack of skill, lack of consideration and downright stupidity exhibited by many drivers is disturbing. It's job-security for me, but scary for many other drivers on the road...

The stories posted brings to mind the road rage incident a few years back where a motorist shot and killed another motorist with a crossbow after a traffic incident. Senseless stuff.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-02-22/news/mn-25882_1_state-police

Archived