IGNORED

Scuberth SRC vs BMW com system on 2012 R1200RT

Tony Van Der Voorn

Tony Van Der Voorn

Hello,

I am new member and have just purchased a 2012 R1200RT with the audio option. I am starting to have some questions with many more to come. I may have submitted this in the incorrect category, but I'm sure someone will correct me. I also did a search for this question, and didn't see the answers I was seeking.

I am trying to decide which bluetooth system I want for my R1200RT and Schuberth C3.

The following are my questions, could someone let me know if these are in fact the case with either bluetooth system;

-The SRC cannot be charged and still operate while riding, while the BMW is capable of both.

-The SRC is compatible with Scala and Cardo helmet bluetooth systems, the BMW will only work with other BMW com systems.

-The only motorcycle audio function that does not work with the SRC is the volume control.

If anybody has any pros and cons other than what is listed above, please let me know.

When I initially looked at the bike, I was hoping I could just plug in a set of earbud speakers into an outlet and be able to listen to the audio output. According to the dealer, these are the only two options for this bike. I am not very mechanically inclined, so I do not want to do any other installation at this time. I hope to be able to eventually do some of my own maintenence, but in due time.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Tony Van Der Voorn

Wichita, KS

Let me just give you a generic answer but considering it came directly from a Schuberth rep I used his advice. When I was vacationing in Scottsdale the rep just happened to be there and he told me I'd be far happier with the BMW unit because of increased functionality (note the BMW is made by Schuberth)...I didn't ask for more specifics such as you asked because I hadn't even picked up my RT yet or selected a new helmet to replace my trusty old Arai. Chances are that someone with more intimate knowledge of the technical aspects will chime in. I love my C3 and BMW setup, phone calls are exceptionally high quality and audio is pretty good, better at lower speeds of course...haven't ridden with another comm equipped rider as yet so have no clue about compatibility or range, but will soon find out.

Tony, congrads on the new bike. I just bought a new 2012 R1200RT also with the audio equipment. Really did not what the stereo, as it is far more complicated then it needs to be, but for the price that was offered, I had to. I do not want to buy a Bluetooth for my helmet, or have an intercom (been there, done that), and the speakers are useless over about 50 mph. All I want to do is use my wired earbuds.

There is a plug that is located near the forks as described on page 56 of the radio manual. It is for the rear speakers. If you look at this web site, http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=e9fce107af01ba14dc44bb5720b0659e&t=53007&page=2&pp=50 , it has pictures (post #68) for the pinout connections and gives the part number for the plug that goes to this. You need to put a female 3.5mm plug on the other side. There is a lot of talk about where the plug is located on the bike, but with the 2011-12, it is where the book says. Apparently previous years you had to take apart the dash area to get to it.

After doing the simple wiring, just go into the radio menu, turn on the rear speaker, use the fader so the front speakers are down all the way and bingo.

I just got the plug in the mail today ($17) and should have it wired this weekend. I just need to think on how I want to route the plug.

I suspect the moderators would want to move this to the "bike related things", as I think it would be better in there.

-Mark

Tony -

What Mike said ....

I also have a 2012 bike with the radio and I got the plug. I also have an Autocom so I wired the plug to an Autocom connector and then turned off the front speakers so I can enjoy music in my helmet without bothering anyone else.

If you are handy with doing a little wiring, the plug will work well and you can put whatever type of end you need on it.

If you need a cheat sheet for what each of the 4 wires does, let me know and I'll dig up my sheet and send it to you.

Jim

Tony Van Der Voorn

Thanks you everyone for your input. This is exactly the informatioon I was looking for. Unfortunately, I am not very mechanically inclined, but this project might be doable.

RT_Jim, could you send me the information that you referenced in your post?

Does, anybody know of someone local to me that might be able to assist me in this project?

Tony

If you want to use a female 3.5mm plug on the end, you can get one at Radio Shack. The part number is #274-0274. I am hoping to have some time this weekend to do this project.

If you do use this plug, on the Radio Shack web site you can go to the page for this part number and click on the technical data. On that page someone under the comments has a picture of the pin out and which one is ground, left, and right channel. Just don't read the comments, they are not that good. We will see.

-Mark

Tony -

The BMW connector and details of the wires:

BMW 4 wire plug - Audio Out 83 30 0 413 584 (61 1 655)

Wire 1 GROUND

Wire 2 Not Used

Wire 3 Right Speaker

Wire 4 Left Speaker

Hope this helps you!

Jim

Archived