IGNORED

Experiences with Soft Tank Panniers?

Ken H.

Thinking about a set for aux. capacity on long 2-up trips. (Yeah, I know, get her her own bike. But that aside,) What's the good and bad scoop on options out there for front soft side tank panniers / bags? Anybody have? Likes, dislikes?

I've got a set of Aero Stich tank panniers, the regular, not

competition ones that I purchased second hand. They make a great wind blocker for my knees on my GSPD. I'm not too impressed with how much they hold, & I did have to buy some water proof sacks since they aren't water proof. I guess if you can find some second hand ones they are probably worth the $$$. Oh yeah, after I used them on my first trip, I discovered a fifdy cent sized wear mark on one side of my tank. dopeslap.gif

I was JUST looking into the same thing, Ken (just got off ADVRIDER and the Aerostitch site). Funny.

I'm interested in knowing more about the wear mark on your tank, Kent (black_hoof). I have an R1200GS with the black plastic side covers. Was the wear mark on the side of the tank?

Ken;

Have a look at Mountain Sun Panniers:

http://www.mt-sun.com/catalog.php?type=product&id=21362

I bought a used, older set for a trip around Mexico. One nice feature is the ability to convert one side bag to a day pack for use away from the motorcycle.

The photo's on the web site aren't very good. If you want something better I could send you a photo or two of mine.

Richard

I've used the stich tank panniers for about a year. Block the cold and carry enough. Haven't seen any rubbing on the black panels. If it were a painted metal surface, it might be different. Work very well on the 12GS.

Ken;

Have a look at Mountain Sun Panniers:

http://www.mt-sun.com/catalog.php?type=product&id=21362

I bought a used, older set for a trip around Mexico. One nice feature is the ability to convert one side bag to a day pack for use away from the motorcycle.

The photo's on the web site aren't very good. If you want something better I could send you a photo or two of mine.

Richard

Richard how far apart or the two bags? Is the mounting distance between the two adjustable and do they have securing straps at the bottom. I'm looking for some for the DR than may even be able to be thrown across the seat for saddle bags.

TIA

Roburt,

I don't know I must just be lucky or maybe it was a freak thing, I had a pair of walking around tennis like shoes in

a water proof bag, one in each pannier, & when I got home from the rally last spring, discovered a wear, rub mark almost thru the decal on my GSPD in one spot. YMMV, hope this helps.

Richard how far apart or the two bags? Is the mounting distance between the two adjustable and do they have securing straps at the bottom. I'm looking for some for the DR than may even be able to be thrown across the seat for saddle bags.

TIA

The bags are adjustable for width and there is a strap near the bottom that goes from bag to bag under the front of the gas tank. there also are two straps from the rear that keep the bags secure.

• 2 months later...

Well I went with the Afrika tank panniers, purchased from Whitehorsepress.com

So far the seem pretty good, well designed to attach and for paint protection. They don't interfere with my legs and seem to stay firmly in place.

The photos on Afrika's and Whitehorse's web sites are really poor, so here's a couple:

59408444-M.jpg

59408326-M.jpg

59408192-M.jpg

Effervescent

Those look exactly like the Aerotich ones. I too bought used Aerostich in the larger regular size, black.

I love them, in theory.

I used them once. They don't really fit on the 1100S. My knees bash up against them. And if I move it up, it interferes with the steering.

-Eff

Ken,

Don't they make a trailer hitch for R12GS's? teeth.gif

Yeah they do but I stole it and threw it in the bushes. Ken will never find it. grin.gif

Ken,

Don't they make a trailer hitch for R12GS's? teeth.gif

Yeah, tell me about it.

There's no way in creation I'm ever going to do the GVW calculation on that bike when we hit the road two up for a long trip! eek.gif

I have a pair of Wolfman tank panniers on my KLR 650. I've found them great as a way of carrying small items that I need or want quick access to (gloves, bottled water, etc.) and have used them during both on and off road riding. No problems, they are very secure and easy to get on and off the bike. No problems with marking on the tank and they do provide something of a windblock on the KLR. Never tried them on my R1100RT but suspect they wouldn't interface very well with the fairing.

Foxy

Archived