IGNORED

Christmas holiday RT todo list

donhallman

Over the holidays I plan to do some maintenance work on my 02RT. Right now the list is to: install new Odossey battery ($84), Replace alternator belt,cut cover in half for future changes, drill plug hole in cover to socket crank for valve sets, remove canister, remove speakers and antenna, run shielded emergency jump start cable from battery or starter. Whilst Im at it, any

other tidbits anyone would suggest doing? I just did a valve and sync about 1000 miles ago.

Sounds like some good activity for you.

Could add an additional power socket upstairs?

My list is to install my anti theft alarm, power cable for gps and mounting bracket for gps. Other very minor jobs (other than oil dumps) are fit the new seat covers and bag liners for my next trip.

Ed

remove speakers and antenna....

Good idea. I had this nagging squeek in the front end that I couldn't find for the longest time. I found the right speaker had worked loose rubbing against the metal sub-frame. No more squeeking thumbsup.gif

You don't mention which bike you have, but since you mention antenna/speaker-ectomies, I assume you have an R1150RT. If it's an '02 or '03, I would add the radio-ecotmy to the list.

Maybe move the fuel filter out of the gas tank.
If you do have an 1150, you'll be pulling the tank every year anyway (to do the brakes), which is well more than half the battle on doing a fuel filter swap. On the R1100RT, it's a better bang for the buck as once you do the external fuel filer, you won't have to pull the tank again until you need to replace brake system parts (not just pads) and want to bleed the ABS reservoir (under the tank). That is, it's a good idea until the fuel clamp pops off inside the tank a few miles from the UnRally and it takes you and a few of your drunken friends a fun evening to diagnose the problem! eek.gifgrin.gif
Maybe move the fuel filter out of the gas tank.
If you do have an 1150, you'll be pulling the tank every year anyway (to do the brakes), which is well more than half the battle on doing a fuel filter swap.
For once I disagree with Jamie, I find pulling the tank easier than messing about getting the filter/pump assembly in and out of the bottom of the tank, I hope to never have to do that again. There is also the advantage that should you ever get a clogged filter you can easily replace it roadside if it is hung out in the breeze.
Al Navecky Jr

My plans are to have the header pipes ceramic coated. I had the header pipes on my Honda SuperHawk done by HPC done about 5 year ago and they still look great and are easy to clean. thumbsup.gif My only problem now is color; polished aluminum, black, or blue my RT is Opal Blue.

As anyone else done this confused.gif

HPC (High Performance Coating, Inc.)

There are BMW parts (stock on '04 RT) to do the jump-start thing. They provide a cable clamp spot for the battery positive terminal, right behind the tank under the seat.

61 21 7 671 334 Angle piece,

61 13 7 671 354 Terminal screw, and

61 13 7 672 395 Protection cap.

Cost is about 18 bucks.

Archived