IGNORED

Gas Tank Filler

Swell-Daddy

Swell-Daddy

Somebody told me if you shorten the filler neck on the top of the gas tank you can increase the tank fill. Does that sound right and if so how do you do it on a 2004 RT1150RT?

The most common modification is to drill a few 1/4-inch holes in the existing neck closer to the top. Be aware that there are pipes for the tank venting system wrapped round the vent on the inside of the tank, so I always advise removal of the filler neck to drill. The O-ring under the filler neck will have swollen and so not go back into place unless dries out for a few days - a new one is quicker and easier.

The benefit is faster filling and extra miles in the tank. The drawback for US bikes is that if you do not ride the level down, there is a high-risk of fuel venting into the charcoal cannister leading to plugging, which in turn leads to a collapsed fuel-level float-tube.

Non US-bikes just get a puddle of raw fuel under them if parked up right after a high top-off.

Andy

I've never had to replace a gas tank O ring. I've had cause to remove the filler neck maybe 8-10 times total on a combo of 4 different oilheads.

Perhaps I'm fuel filler neck O ring gifted. They just go back on fine for me.

I wouldn't drill a filler neck w/o removing the charcoal canister. Search canisterectomy. I've heard from others (yeah, my 'friends' tried this....) it's worth drilling the neck. Half a gallon is the difference between "that was close" and pushing a bike sometimes.

I wouldn't espouse a position on said vapor trap canister removal on this board without first donning protective apparel. Some people are quite vehement about the canister's crucial job.

I happen to like my garage smelling like gas on hot days. It reminds me to stop doing other stuff and go ride someplace.

Bruce (Bedford)

I happen to like my garage smelling like gas on hot days. It reminds me to stop doing other stuff and go ride someplace.

If you need a reminder then this is as good as they get - careful if you smoke though!

Bruce

Archived