IGNORED

valve inspection

Snowcat

Having a little trouble with being able to take a feeler gauge reading on the intake side of the motor. Have a 2011 RT and would like to finish the inspection. Rotated the top dead center marks on both cylinders and was able to get the exhaust reading without a problem. Would really like some help on this one, it is probably pretty easy and I am missing it. Thanks in advance.

Afternoon Snowcat

A little more info from you on what type of trouble you are having would help us guide you.

To start with-- do you have the cam marks lined up on the side you are working on?

If so then what happens when you try to insert a feeler gauge between the cam lobe & rocker arm pad?

How about a very thin feeler gauge?

Can you feel ANY movement in the intake rocker arm when you try to move it by hand without any feeler gauge in the gap?

OMG do I feel like a DA. I got it. It helps when a guy uses a small enough feeler gauge and puts some light on his work. I felt like it was something stupid. Ok now got get this bike back together before it gets to late. Need a beer. Thanks for your help. By the way I did look at the info you sent before I posted. Thanks again.

Having just done a valve clearance check on my wife's Kawasaki Ninja 250, I am once again impressed with the brilliance of the camhead valve train design. It's a thing of beauty.

Agree about the valve train on the RT. I just need to remember to use enough light nest time not feel my way thru it. haha. By the way the readings were in the middle of tolerances on both intake and exhaust on both cylinders. Doubt if there will be much change in the readings next time. Now it's time for that beer I was waiting for. Thanks to all who tried to help me. Love this BMW community.

Dave_zoom_zoom
OMG do I feel like a DA. I got it. It helps when a guy uses a small enough feeler gauge and puts some light on his work. I felt like it was something stupid. Ok now got get this bike back together before it gets to late. Need a beer. Thanks for your help. By the way I did look at the info you sent before I posted. Thanks again.

The good news is, you are not realy a DA. A real DA never, ever, feels like a DA. They always blame someone or some thing other than taking responsability. Therefore they remain a DA.

You just had "a moment"! We all have them from time to time.

At least I do! :grin:

Dave

hahaha. Thanks Dave. Well put. Getting a little older these days and sometimes I loose track of what I am doing, but not while I riding.

Archived