IGNORED

The Box

Mike

A couple of weeks ago, we had a chair delivered in a big box. Since there are a bunch of kids in the neighborhood, I cut out a door and a couple of windows. This thing gets more use than any toy for miles around. It makes its way from garage to garage and has been a fort, a house, a hideaway . . . unlimited fun. Just a reminder of what kids can do with the most basic stuff. There's nothing better than a big ol' box:

IMG1067-L.jpg

After sharing this with some friends, one of them sent me a terrific short film about a little kid in East L.A. who took a bunch of boxes and built an arcade.

My neighbors pride themselves on the latest and greatest toys for their kids. One day a particularly large playset arrived in a huge cardboard box. The kids spent the next month playing inside the box, instead of with the playset, much to the dismay of their parents!

-MKL

I used to pull my toddler son around in an empty diaper box. I remember he laughed and giggled with glee. I agree the best toys are improvised and provoke imagination.

This kind of fun does not happen with that cheap Chinese plastic from Toys R Us.

of course you had all the kids and parents sign a liability release?

:dopeslap:

just kidding.

Well, I am sure I am on some parents' list . . . like the people who have had to park their SUV outside for the past four or five days, to make room for the box. :grin:

Well, I am sure I am on some parents' list . . . like the people who have had to park their SUV outside for the past four or five days, to make room for the box. :grin:

Would they rather the kids used the SUV for a fort, etc?

p.s. I make fun of people who buy big, butch, macho SUVs and then slow down to 0mph to go over speed bumps and railroad tracks. I think not wanting to park it where it might get wet or dirty qualifies as underuse.

----

-----

When we had our last litter of Jack Russel pups, we cut some holes in a box, to get them used to exploring dark places. We wound up with several small boxes taped together in an odd configuration, with a couple of entrances and intersections. Talk about a way to learn strategy and tactics! One pup could hold the fort all by themselves, until two of them figured out how to team up.

I don't know who had more fun.....Them, or me watching them.

After sharing this with some friends, one of them sent me a terrific short film about a little kid in East L.A. who took a bunch of boxes and built an arcade.

Way cool. That kid IS a genius!

Way cool. That kid IS a genius!

It was all great, but I particularly got a kick out his security code system, using the square root key. Amazing!

Archived