IGNORED

New Sena intercom

kiwiaudio

The highly anticipated Sena SMH-5 is now available for around $100. Mine should arrive today and i'll let you know what i think after some operational time.

Sold out most everywhere i looked, but Check out http://www.jcmotors.com/p-30350-sena-smh5-motorcycle-bluetooth-headset-and-intercom.aspx

Also available as an option are the larger, supposedly better sounding, speakers from the SMH-10

http://www.jcmotors.com/p-31454-sena-smh5-large-speakers.aspx

I'll probably try these at a later date.

Thanks for the links. FWIW, I have the SMH-10 and IMO the range is just O.K. I would not want less then we have now as the SMH-5 states they have less then half the range. We might have 1/3 of a mile line of sight before they start to get static, in mountains you loss the connection in about 2-3 curves. TBS, this has been by far the best communication unit we have used, and we had the mighty, expensive, fickle AutoCom. SENA works right out of the box, and customer service is first rate. For the size, price, and no hassle, I can live with the range.

FWIW, Sena has released the newest firmware for the SMH-10 units that supposedly increases the range while reducing the power draw. Hopefully someone here will volunteer to be the test dummy, I mean tester and try it out.

Here is the link to the webBikeWorld review of the new firmware:

http://goo.gl/WtXTs

I would test it myself, but sadly our SMH-10 units (v1) can't be flashed with new firmware.

I flashed mine last night, worked perfect, has all the new features. Really like the voice and battery check. I read were this version loses 10 percent high volume, I have not tried it on the bike yet. This could be an issue as up around 70mph it is hard to hear.

SteveHebert

I just ordered the SMH10 dual pak fro Revzilla. Total price of only $299.25. Bt far the best deal I could find. I will start wit the helmet speakers for the June trip and may even bring along the earbud base to see which we like better. I had the J&M set up on my GS and it was very good. The best sound quality yet of an system I have owned. It is just very limiting in the additional equipment you can add department.

Thanks for all the info here.

rocketmoto.com has the SMH10 dual pack for 259 for 'forum users.' I know that works for k1600gtl.com, maybe here too, or just mention k1600gtl.com. You have to call to get the forum pricing, it's not what it shown on the web page. My understanding is that similar discounts apply for the SMH5.

I just ordered the SMH10 dual pak fro Revzilla. Total price of only $299.25. Bt far the best deal I could find. I will start wit the helmet speakers for the June trip and may even bring along the earbud base to see which we like better. I had the J&M set up on my GS and it was very good. The best sound quality yet of an system I have owned. It is just very limiting in the additional equipment you can add department.

Thanks for all the info here.

I went from a J&M wired system to the Sena SMH-10. No comparison.......Sena wins hands down.

It took me one trip to switch from the standard clamp to the earbuds. I wore foam earplugs with the speakers and had to have the volume at 100% to hear any music or intercom. That really took a toll on the battery and it would only last about 7 hours. With the earbuds and the volume turned back, I have more than doubled that run time.

PhilipJCaputo
It took me one trip to switch from the standard clamp to the earbuds. I wore foam earplugs with the speakers and had to have the volume at 100% to hear any music or intercom. That really took a toll on the battery and it would only last about 7 hours. With the earbuds and the volume turned back, I have more than doubled that run time.

what buds do you use? Do they seem to double as ear plugs to cut down wind buffeting noise too?

I've been eyeing several DIY custom fit plugs, but I want to be sure they cut out the wind noise. I like to get as much air-flow as possible during the hot so cal summers.

what buds do you use? Do they seem to double as ear plugs to cut down wind buffeting noise too?

I've been eyeing several DIY custom fit plugs, but I want to be sure they cut out the wind noise. I like to get as much air-flow as possible during the hot so cal summers.

I made my own using one of the DIY kits from Earfuze

They do an excellent job of blocking out ambient noise. I also use them when mowing the grass, when flying, and at work when I need to block out noisy co-workers. They work great for me. I've had them about a year now and use them a lot.

I have big ear solid plugs and am close to buying the earphone version

What is needed to use the sena with a cord and earbuds?

You just buy a replacement helmet clamp like this Earbud Clamp

It replaces the helmet clamp that comes with the Sena units. Instead of speaker connections, it has a cord that allows you to plug in any standard headphones. It also gives you the option of either a boom mic (for open face or modular helmet) or a low profile stick on mic (for full face helmet).

I wear a full face helmet and was happy to get that boom mic out of my helmet. The low profile mic is just a small velcro backed microphone that you can stick anywhere inside the chin bar. Its only about as big/thick as a nickle, so its much less intrusive.

rocketmoto.com has the SMH10 dual pack for 259 for 'forum users.' I know that works for k1600gtl.com, maybe here too, or just mention k1600gtl.com. You have to call to get the forum pricing, it's not what it shown on the web page. My understanding is that similar discounts apply for the SMH5.

I bought a dual pack from RocketMoto last year. They offered a discount for ADVRider.com members and that's what I used. I also bought the optional helmet clamp for earbuds and that's the way I use it. I use Arizona Al's ear buds (Al's a board member). They work well.

Before you buy the earbud clamp, try it with the speakers. I have an RT (1200) and find that the volume is fine when wearing solid molded earplugs and I get more than 12 hours riding time on the battery. The RT has very good wind protection and thus reduced noise over bikes like the GS. Wind noise (and thus the volume needed to hear your music or GPS) is also very helmet specific. I have a Scorpion EXO modular.

Do you know if it is compatable with earbuds instead of speakers?

-----

The speaker wires and microphone wire are all bundled into a single proprietary plug, so i don't know what it would take to use earbuds instead of speakers. The earbud clamp that Keith is talking about appears to be for the SMH-10, as the pins are visible. The SMH-5 does not have this pin connection. It has only the micro USB for the speaker/mic, and another micro USB for the charge/computer cable.

I have not even used this system on my bike yet, and found myself ordering the optional larger speakers that are supposed to be the same as the SMH-10 units. The original speakers sound very tinny to me, but did improve with extremely anal placement in the helmets speaker pods. I Also ordered the wired mic which would better suit my full face helmet. This wired mic cost $6, but Sena did not supply it with the SMH-5. Neither did they supply a wall adapter for the USB cable, which costs no more than $5 anywhere! Sena really wanted to keep this baby at the $100 pricepoint apparently.

I already found an issue with the priority settings. Cell phone gets priority 1, but an incoming call would not be detected if listening to my mp3. Firmware update has already been issued and I have just installed. Will keep you posted.

+1 for rocketmoto.com! Thanks for the tip krussell. I called them last night, mentioned bmwsporttouring.com and got the $259.99 price for the smh10 dual pack. I also ordered the separate clamps for earbuds. Should be here tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the larger speaker option for the SMH5 is well worthwhile. Far superior sound compared to the originals. Only $19 too !

Has anyone been able to pair an iPhone 3GS and a bluetooth dongle to the SMH10 using version 4 of the firmware? I can pair the phone using the phone button setup, but I lose the dongle. I am using a Miccus BluBridge. (please don't say "search the forum").

Has anyone been able to pair an iPhone 3GS and a bluetooth dongle to the SMH10 using version 4 of the firmware? I can pair the phone using the phone button setup, but I lose the dongle. I am using a Miccus BluBridge. (please don't say "search the forum").

Mine is the old version, so I can not upgrade my firmware, but you might want to try asking over on ADV. There are lots of guys over there using the Sena units now with all sorts of different configurations. Here is a link to the big Sena thread

LINK

The big brown truck of happiness just dropped off my SMH10 dual pack along with the clamp for earbuds and attachable mics yesterday afternoon. I also bought the SR10 2way radio interface as I want to keep my Kenwood FRS/GMRS radio for B2B comms with others.

I have only had time to install on one helmet. Hopefully tonight I'll have time to flash them and then start learning to set them up.

You guys have made me very excited about this purchase. Thanks.

Matts_12GS
The big brown truck of happiness just dropped off my SMH10 dual pack along with the clamp for earbuds and attachable mics yesterday afternoon. I also bought the SR10 2way radio interface as I want to keep my Kenwood FRS/GMRS radio for B2B comms with others.

I have only had time to install on one helmet. Hopefully tonight I'll have time to flash them and then start learning to set them up.

You guys have made me very excited about this purchase. Thanks.

Well?

I'm dying to know how this works for you!

Archived