IGNORED

Back in business w/ R1200RT

Lawman

Swapped the 05 Electra Glide Ultra for an 05 R1200RT. Now to get familiarized with all this technical stuff that just leaves me confused confused.gif

The first of many questions.

1. What's the final verdict on using my regular battery tender to keep the gel battery charged?

2. What's the easiest way to power my Wal Mart air compressor in the event of a flat? It has a regular cigarette lighter type plug ?

3. Is it okay to power a Gerbing heated coat liner only via the accessory plug or does it pull too much power?

4. Will the Sahara hi -way pegs work with the plastic BMW cylinder head protectors?

Thanks to all and let me tell you the mistake I made was swapping rides for an hour with a friend who was on a new RT..It hooked me all over again clap.gifclap.gif

Well I can only comment on the 1st 2 questions...I solved both by installing a 'standard' cig. lighter 12v outlet on the opposite side of the BMW pass aux outlet. There is an indentation in the plastic to indicate where there may have been plans at one time to allow for a 'third' aux power outlet by BMW, and I used it to install the 'standard' outlet which I bought at Walmart. It was a heavy duty one intended for 'truck trailer' use. The wiring is 14ga and sealed at the back of the outlet.

You have to drill out the plastic to install...but then I connected it directly (via a fuse holder) to the battery. Now I can connect a 'standard' battery charger using a cig. lighter adapter. You could in fact do the same thing anywhere on the bike it suits you...

One point about battery chargers, I went to the dealer intent on buying the BMW 'special' charger for the Canbus bikes and my trusted parts guy talked me out of it. This is the largest BMW in eastern Canada if not in all of Canada and they have an excellent service dept., which had been telling him not to recommend the BMW one because it isn't strong enough to fully charge/restore the newer type batteries.

So I bought an Accumate Pro 12 (N/P Amp12v4A)as per his suggestion. About 1/2 the cost of the BMW dedicated one, plus I can use it on all my batteries...

Jim

1. There is no "final verdict." The whole answer revolves around if you want to adhere to the BMW "letter of the law" or not. My .02 says the bike charging system doesn't know or adjust for what type of battery is in it, why should you? I.e. - Your tender will work just fine. IF, and it's a big IF, you rig up a way to connect it directly to the battery instead of attempting to backfeed through the controlled factory accessory socket and all the rigmarole associated with it.

2. As mentioned, install a standard outlet directly from the battery. Use it for #1 above, and you have two problems solved.

3. Use the socket installed in #1 and you have three (!) problems solved.

4. Well #1 won't solve that one! I have no idea.

Swapped the 05 Electra Glide Ultra for an 05 R1200RT. Now to get familiarized with all this technical stuff that just leaves me confused confused.gif

The first of many questions.

1. What's the final verdict on using my regular battery tender to keep the gel battery charged?

Can't answer that from personal experience.

2. What's the easiest way to power my Wal Mart air compressor in the event of a flat? It has a regular cigarette lighter type plug ?

Get a BMW type plug from Powerlet.com . Cut off the old cigar-end and put the new one on the cord. If you really need to keep the cigar plug, Powerlet has a 'dual' type, and also a cigar-to-bmw adapter.

3. Is it okay to power a Gerbing heated coat liner only via the accessory plug or does it pull too much power?

Yep. Mine worked fine. However, I later just hardwired the battery harness that came with my liner direct to the battery. The tail tucks neatly under the seat when not in use. I put a small piece of dual-lock on the back of my controller, and another on the tank just above the seat line. My controller sticks on there with the power lead going under the seat. The connector lead for the liner tucks under the seat lip when not being used.

4. Will the Sahara hi -way pegs work with the plastic BMW cylinder head protectors?

Yep. Here's mine:

elfpeg2.jpg

I have an extra set of these for sale if you're interested.Check here in Classifieds.

Hope this helps grin.gif

Although I doubt the canbus will be able to support the draw of a compressor, you can purchase a BMW Power Cord adaptor and give it a shot. Worst thing that could happen is that the canbus shuts off the socket and you have to "reboot" (restart the ignition). However, if it does work with the canbus, I'd be interested to know what compressor you have.
Although I doubt the canbus will be able to support the draw of a compressor... I'd be interested to know what compressor you have.

My Airman compressor works with the factory CAN-Bus socket at normal tire pressures on my RT. It's rated at 10A max, and I've never had it pumping past about 45psi, and that was on the GS (on which I have a 15A non-CAN-Bus socket). The RT's CAN-Bus may, in fact, reject the draw when this pump is working at it's max.

Airman will work just fine on the 12RT. I had a blowout on the fwy a few months ago. Tire stayed on rim & had no problem riding to the shoulder. It was a 1/2" gash (probably a hunk of Buick rocketed by the front tire). Called the wife to bring the trailer to pick me up. But while waiting, decided to try the plug kit (only good for 1/4") Good practice. Of course tire wouldn't hold air, but found out that you turn on the bike to activate the rear power outlet, plug in the Airman compressor, then turn off the bike, the compressor will run till hell freezes over trying to fill that tire. Seems like the CanBus also works in reverse: to keep power going to the outlet if there's a draw, even after the normal two minute period. Good feature.

Archived