IGNORED

Identify the mystery spring

MCDenny

I propped up my new to me '97 R1100RT on the center stand and noticed this spring laying underneath. Can anyone help me figure out where it belongs?

612911-mysteryspring.jpg.90097a0cf5c9d5096b47cdf980108b27.jpg

Rear brake lever:

612959-brake.gif

Lift handle:

612960-lift.gif

Footpeg:

612961-footpeg.gif

Could be any of these, but I'm not sure how any of them would end up on the floor. So just see which of these parts isn't springy anymore.

I propped up my new to me '97 R1100RT on the center stand and noticed this spring laying underneath. Can anyone help me figure out where it belongs?

It's the shifter pawl spring out of a Harley. Somebody left it there to confuse you.

tongue.gifgrin.gif

Pilgrim

Thanks to all of you for the good ideas, especially the fiche views from David E.B. Smith. The spring does look exactly like the ones pictured.

Unfortunately (maybe fortunately?) all those springs are in place. My mystery spring is a little smaller than the foot peg springs, which are smaller than the brake pedal and lift handle springs.

Other thoughts??????

Joe Frickin' Friday
Unfortunately (maybe fortunately?) all those springs are in place. My mystery spring is a little smaller than the foot peg springs, which are smaller than the brake pedal and lift handle springs.

Other thoughts??????

Are you certain this spring is from this bike?????

Its not the seat latch spring - the ends are different. I like the scorpion, though.

It just might be destined for the junk box.

I am not sure it came off the bike but I heard a 'little part falling on the cement floor' noise when I put the bike on its stand and there was the spring, near the back wheel.

Its not the seat latch spring - the ends are different. I like the scorpion, though.

It just might be destined for the junk box.

I am not sure it came off the bike but I heard a 'little part falling on the cement floor' noise when I put the bike on its stand and there was the spring, near the back wheel.

Perhaps it was on the road and you ran over it causing it to kick up and lodge on the main stand, just waiting until you put the bike on the stand to show itself, spreading confusion in its wake. (I just love 'what-ifs')

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Several years ago after just putting a new rear tire on Smokey, we ended up at Hangtown Harley in Placerville Ca., and noticed a spring just like your picture embedded in the tire. I am sure it's the same one. "Hey, little feller, you shure do git around".

I can not tell a lie. I put that spring under your bike when you weren't looking.

I do things like this all the time. Like pouring oil under a friends bike, where they're distracted. grin.gif

Boy, oh, boy, I hate it when that happens!

I sure wouldn't ride that bike another yard until I knew it wasn't something that was going to put my a$$ upside-down in the ditch.

bncry.gifeek.gifcrazy.gif

Pilgrim

I sure wouldn't ride that bike another yard until I knew it wasn't something that was going to put my a$$ upside-down in the ditch.

You're being sarcastic....Right?

Seems like we've already eliminated everything that could cause a serious problem...As long as no wheels or pegs fall off and the brakes work....who cares if you suddenly discover that the frimframdohiceefrapper doesn't work right.

Just my $.02

You're being sarcastic....Right?

Well, I'd be more inclined to call it ironic instead of sarcastic. Anything but serious, though.

grin.gif

Pilgrim

Well, I'd be more inclined to call it ironic instead of sarcastic.

Ah...yes the fine art of irony

In that same vein...I had another thought.

That spring was obviously left by a representative of the evil cage manufacturing/oil refining cartel in a nefarious plot to make you spend more time in your cage and use more oil. (in an urgent voice) Ride you bike man!!! Don't let them win!!!!

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only if you promise to play it at 11

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not your job to be as confused as Cameron!

Huh?! No...but...it's one louder!

looks like it's the footpeg tension spring.

I think you've figured it out. Looks just like mine. What was the prize you won???

--Jerry

Dunno, did you guys see this response?

My mystery spring is a little smaller than the foot peg springs, which are smaller than the brake pedal and lift handle springs.

I'm still thinking it's a clothes pin spring he picked up in his tire tread. grin.gif

Archived