IGNORED

New York Finger Lakes Routes

RockBottom

In June my boss and I are planning to ride from Carlisle, PA to a conference in Kingston, Ontario. We're taking the interstate back but will split the ride up into two days and stick to smaller roads.

I know every good road in central PA but not those in western New York. Are any of the north-south roads through the Finger Lakes region (14, 414, 34, etc) markedly better than the others?

Thanks.

Only passed through the Finger Lakes one time so can't help there. If you have time you should loop east over to Lake Placid. Whiteface Mountain is just north of there and it's so worth seeing.

Pat

:lurk:

I'm still building a file for a future ride into the Finger Lakes area and especially a stay over in Ithaca so I'll be interested in any responses to your post.

Paging Finger Lakes Concierge Kathy R. :wave:

Kingston "The Limestone City" was the first capitol of Canada and steeped in history. If time permits enjoy some walking tours and outdoor cafes. You can't miss at least seeing Old Fort Henry as it dominates the harbour. The first lock of the historic Rideau Canal system is just a few km away and worth a visit too.

Crossing the border either by the Thousand Island Bridge or via ferries from Cape Vincent to Wolf Island and then Wolf Island to downtown Kingston are both as Tommy would say "Worthy" entry points. In Alexandria Bay NY there is a great wooden boat museum as well as Bolt Castle and access to boat tours of the islands. Hmm, I think you'll need to extend your visit another day or two. :thumbsup:

Keuka Lake

Stop in Hammondsport at the foot of Keuka Lake and spend at least 1 hour in the Glenn H Curtiss Aviation (motorcycle) Museum ( bike listing) and then follow up the west side of Keuka Lake on 54A northward and blend into 14A northward.

OR

Canandaigua Lake

Come up Rt21 all the way up into Naples, NY and continue right through Canandaigua on Rt21 ...continue northwards. This will only give you a (great view of the southern end of the lake, but Rt21 is a fun ride as you run parallel to the lake. In Palmyra you'll ride over the Erie Canal. Continue north and take 104 East and pop north to see Sodus Point on Lake Ontario.

The Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, NY is very near your destination. It's well worth a visit.

Archived