IGNORED

22mm Hex Bit Socket - Where to Find?

Ken H.

The front axle on the R1200GS (and other R1200xx?) takes a 22mm hex bit to thread the axle out the right side. I removed the wheel with the cheapy tool in the OEM tool kit, but to properly re-torque it really requires a 22mm hex bit (male protrusion) socket.

So far all I've found that big is an impact grade 3/4" drive socket at $45. eek.gif

Any ideas?

I took a 22mm nut and welded it onto an craftsman 3/8 drive socket. Total cost was $0.00 because the socket and nut came out of my junk drawer and a co-worker welded it on.

Look at the backside of most Oxygen sensor and Sending unit sockets. They are 22mm (most). I put a 3/8 extension in backwards thru ther socket and use it that way.

Actually try here.

Or go to www.mscdirect.com, search for their item # 00058933 or Armstrong Tool # 48-725. It's a 3/4" drive hex bit socket, 22 mm, $40.46. The catalog page is here .

BTW, Armstrong Tools nobody's probably ever heard of, but they make professional-grade tools at decent prices. They're part of Danaher Industries, which also makes Matco tools, Allen, K-D, Holo-Krome, Fluke, Jacobs chucks, etc. Made in U.S., lifetime warranty.

Just got home & found a short 1/2" dia. bolt with a 3/4" head, a 1/2" Nut that is 7/8" on the flats. Put a large washer on the bolt and tightened the 7/8" nut down to about 100 Nm. The 7/8" nut fits perfectly in my axle (no sanding needed on mine, Ed), the washer keeps it from going in too far, and I can use either a 19mm or 3/4" socket to do the torque chore. Perfect tool for the job, a nut, a bolt and a washer. I had 'em on hand so cost is zero. At your friendly Hardware store might cost you a buck. thumbsup.gif

Regards,

Carl

7/8" and a little time with a belt sander, you only have to remove about 0.008 from the width across the flats.

Why not take an old cold chissel and chip a little metal out of the part on the bike? That's gotta be easier and cheaper grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Well Marty that will teach you to follow MY lead on anything! tongue.gif

And teach both of us to have a bit more patience on waiting for suggestions to come in before pulling the trigger on something. crazy.gif

Archived