IGNORED

Madison, WI --> St. Louis, MO

Pat Buzzard

Pat Buzzard

Last thursday I embarked on my first major road trip on my R1100RT. I left Madison, WI around 0730 and headed south. The ride down was largely unspectacular and easy. I arrived in St. Louis around 1400 local time and checked in at the NRA Convention (the purpose for my trip). As the convention didn't officially kick off until friday mornign I had ample time to tool around St. Louis and see the sights. If you ever get the chance be sure to stop in at the Union Station in downtown St. Louis. It was once a major hub for the American Railroad network but fell into disrepair in the late 50s. It has now been restored into a mall\hotel and is a most interesting structure. The convention went smoothly and I departed for Madison yesterday around 1330. I knew from the weather forcasts that I would be dealing with bad weather for most of the route, but I don't think I really comprehended just how aweful it was going to be. I dealt with extremely high winds for most of the trip. I literally had to lean over nearly 45 degrees at some points just to maintain a straight course. I would have liked to have stopped and waited for better weather before continueing but I had to get back to work in time for this morning. The trip was mostly dry until I hit south rockford, IL. At this point the storm completely caught up with me and I was forced to take a 45 minute break at at Fazollis (heck I needed dinner anyways!) Once the rain had subsided sufficiently I got back on the road. It was at this point that I suffered my first mechanical failure-- the light for the speedometer failed. I continued on and eventually made it home. All in all it was a great trip. I really feel that I stretched my limits both in my tolerance of the conditions, and in driving the better part of 410 miles with minimal breaks.

Told ya to take a camera.

;)

You never have to, on a bike.

Give the light a chance to come back before tearing into it.

Good luck.

Told ya to eat frozen custard at Ted Drewes. ;)

I really feel that I stretched my limits both in my tolerance of the conditions

If it was easy it wouldn't be cool! :thumbsup:

Pat

Archived