IGNORED

Roady XM 12V to 6V converter ?

Hermes

My Roady XM runs on 6V not 12V (I got it hooked up with a plug-in transformer in the living room for the winter month and had never installed it on the bike, yet).

Seems to me i've heard of a gadget I need to buy to convert the power. That gadget should ideally not go to the two power outlets on my RT but have a lead that allows me to hook it up to my Blue Marine power panel behind the dash.

Anyone out there in the ether land that knows the appropriate website? Please.

Jurgen

There is a Roady converter. Had mine hardwired. I think I got it from the xm radio web site. Part cost about $9.00, has BMW dealer install during a service.

Thanks for the replies.

You guys never cease to amaze me, you have an answer for just about everything, and fast!

thumbsup.gif

Jurgen

p.s. emoticom intentionnally included.

I take your meaning, been there myself with quick albeit not necessarely accurate nor truthful answers.

Btw, I am just pretending, the handsome Mounty is my son, I am just so darn proud of him, so I show off any chance I get and even chances I don't get.

Jurgen

the smallest is made by 2wheelaccessories. very nice unit. they run hot. my first one stayed inside my tank bag for two years (then i screwed up and shorted it out) my second one over heats during the summer. So during the summer I have to keep it outside the tank bag so it can get some air. During fall, winter and spring, it is fine in the tank bag. I guess manufacturing variance makes the difference.

XMfan.com I think has a power unit, as does cycle gadgets. I think I have one of each, but the 2wheelaccessory unti is about 1/3 the size of the others and very nice if you are using a powered tank bag.

ShovelStrokeEd

I just took apart the lighter plug, all the electronics are inside. Removed the parts for the plug and soldered a couple of leads onto the circuit board. Been working fine for 2 years inside the tank bag. One day I'll mount it into a little handy box and run proper leads and strain reliefs but the bar circuit board sticking out with a little velcro on the back sticks it to the side of my Big Mak map case and it stays out of the way.

Hi Ed,

I couldn't resist, I too tok apart the lighter plug and it seemed to me, I could solder a lead on both the neg. and pos. and then re-attach the plug housing without the srew on tip and fuse spring, the plug can then be tied somewhere behind the dash.

I read, btw, that there should be a switch between the XM Radio and the power connection since there is some current flowing even with the radio off. I would probably place it between the power connection and the plug.

Btw, can you confirm Ed, that the pos. on the plug is the one with the fuse?

Thanks Jurgen

Archived