IGNORED

R1100 Pulley upgrade

r77toy

Here's a quoted response :

"The original pulleys were spot welded crank and would separate, The alt pulley was alloy.. and sometimes would loosen up..

Yes I know I have seen both of the factory bad ones with over a 100k to...

But there were "some failures"

ps it was supposed to be for a better belt to..

http://www.nmpcs.com/r11r/v-belt.pdf"

Afternoon Jeff

Your 1996 should have the later belt & pulley. Supposedly any 1100 built after 09/1994 had the better belt & pulley.

• 2 weeks later...
OldBMWMaster
Afternoon Jeff

Your 1996 should have the later belt & pulley. Supposedly any 1100 built after 09/1994 had the better belt & pulley.

Mine was manufactured 10/95...it broke last week. Total separation of the pulley and the metal interior wheel that sends the signal to the HES

Afternoon Jeff

Mine was manufactured 10/95...it broke last week. Total separation of the pulley and the metal interior wheel that sends the signal to the HES

Afternoon OldBMWMaster

I don't understand the total separation (what happened?).

The pulley clamps the rotor in place when torqued down.

If the rotor falls off the pulley upon pulley removal the service manual has a caution to glue it back on the pulley before re-assembly.

My RS was manufactured in 11/95 and has the later type belt and pulley. The Haynes manual explains how to tell the difference.

OldBMWMaster

I don't know how it happened. All I know is there was total separation. I bought some metal/metal glue and put it all back together. I am headed out in a few minutes for a 3 day trip. I have also ordered the upgraded pulley.

OldBMWMaster

Got back last night; over 700 miles. No problems with the pulley. I guess you really can glue together metal pulleys.

Archived