Why did Douglas Kennedy want to remove his son from hospital.

Bob Foley

Dave McReynolds

I tend to do what the staff tells me to do when I'm in the hospital, because hopefully that's the best thing for me, but also because I have been conditioned to do that. But I don't really have to obey them. It's not the same thing as doing what some higher officer in the Marines told me to do or what some LEO might tell me to do if I were arrested. For example, I have a friend who refuses to have his blood pressure taken. It never really occured to me that I could refuse to have my blood pressure taken, but he does, and they treat him anyway. Not a smart thing for him to do, probably, but within his rights.

I think that since most people do whatever the hospital staff tells them to do, sometimes the hospital staff might get the notion that they have the same right to enforce what they tell people to do that a Marine officer or a LEO might have. But they don't.

So I'm not sure that the hospital has the right to stop you from taking your baby outside if you want to. In physically trying to stop someone from doing that, it is possible that someone might have stepped over the line from being an adviser to being an aggressor.

Hmm, removing babies from hospitals without permission or knowledge of staff is a big red flag. New borns have been kidnapped by families and parents over custody battles.

If I was staff there, I wouldn't recognize Douglas Kennedy from a hole in the ground. Sounds like Kennedy was way out of line.

Obey hospital rules.

Jerry_75_Guy
Hmm, removing babies from hospitals without permission or knowledge of staff is a big red flag. New borns have been kidnapped by families and parents over custody battles.

If I was staff there, I wouldn't recognize Douglas Kennedy from a hole in the ground. Sounds like Kennedy was way out of line.

Obey hospital rules.

Exactly.

I'm a RN, and though I don't work in neonatal, I've done a rotation there and security can be quite strict, and rightly so.

As to this father's behavior, all family members are carefully briefed as to security, and what can and cannot be done with regard to

movement of the child just because there are so many problems with families and abductions.

Its possible, but very very unlikely, that he wasn't briefed on what was appropriate, but in any case, he assaulted a nurse who was doing the right thing,

and who was acting in the best interest of his child.

As already stated, he was way out of line, and probably knew he wasn't following protocol.

He should be treated, legally, in the same manner as if he had walked up to this clinician on the street and kicked her to the ground without cause.

My impression (and we all know what that is worth) is that he was acting out of a distorted sense of entitlement ("I'm the father, and a notable; I have

every right to do as I wish with my new son, regardless of rules/policies").

And the hospital definately does have the right to enforce these child movement restrictions; just imagine the 'legal hell' a family

would rain down on a facility and clinicians if a child was abducted, and the hospital's response was 'we didn't think we had the right to stop the

individual since they were family'.

Don't you see, he's a blue-blood Kennedy and those silly laws don't pertain to him. They are only for us common folk...

We've had three babies in the last 5 years and I can tell you that security is tight. They put a lojack type transmitter on the baby's ankle immediately after birth. Doors have sensors and that baby is tracked everywhere. Everything was explained well to us as parents including how many visitors you can have at any one time. We were surprised at the high level of security, but apparently babies do get stolen for all sorts of reasons.

My guess is that the dad freaked out and had a mental break. Lord knows there's a lot on your mind at that time. Maybe the level of security freaked him out and he felt trapped and had to get out and wanted to "protect" that tiny baby. Who knows. All sorts of crazy hormones are going both the mother and father's body. Now it's all just legal posturing far removed from actual events.

Its a good thing to remember that hospitals re no different than any oter large institution in our society. They exist first and foremost and sometimes only for the sole purpose of the perpetuity and profit of the organization. WStaff there are due no more or less dference than common courtesy and laws require.

Perosnally, I've taught enough nursing and pre med students and watched who gets accepted into med school that I find these places extremely scarey. If I had the Kennedy's cash I'd bring the med services necessary for a typical delivery to me rather than risk a hospital..

Archived