IGNORED

Garmin "route planning" tip

johnlt

I was doing some route planning for a dirt road ride and found that on one of the routes that the map database CN-6 showed a “break” in the road when you went into high magnification and Mapsource would not route across the break. I know from experience that the road continued and did not have a “break” but couldn’t get it to do the routing. I found an easy work around so thought I’d share the tip. I routed right up to the break then went into Mapsource preferences and changed from “auto route” to “direct route”, then went back and routed across the break. After I routed across the break, I went back to “preferences” and changed back to “auto route” and continued by planning. This resulted in a route made up of both auto road following segments as well as direct straight-line segments. Worked great

johnlt

I may be mistaken, but though that technique will work fine in MapSource, once you download the route to the GPS, you will still have the same problem on the GPS. Atl least that is what has happened when I tried that "fix".

As long as recalculation is turned off in the GPS, routes generated this way will upload and work. Once there is a recalculation, of course, the "direct route" gap is gone.

Archived