IGNORED

Darien & Gerbing question

Mike_F

I am picking up a Darien and Gerbing, and was wondering what you folks do. Do I just order the jacket without liner, then add the Gerbing? Or jacket, liner, and Gerbing?

TIA,

I would order the heavier electric liner from Stitch. Works really good with the Darien and zips in and out quite easily. If you don't want the electric heat, don't turn it on.

Unless the liner performs some type of specific thing (like keeping water/bullets out) then I'd just order the jacket and the Gerbing. Be sure to get the controller unit too!

My wifes Gerbing liner and gloves were up in the $330 range.....and then the guy forgot to sell her the thing that allows you to turn it on and off as well as adjust the amount of warmth you need!! That's gonna be another $70 I think....though there are cheaper ones.

Pat

I have a grebings jacket liner, as well as pant liners and gloves. It was the best money spent. I ride to work into downtown Seattle leaving the house at 7 am everyday. I am warm and cozy. I would suggest that you take the ride over to the factory and take a look at some of their stuff. If I was in the market for a jacket, I would serioulsy look at theirs.

Gerbings is open Sat 9-1 and it looks like I might be riding over with a buddy... you could join us??

I've got a darien with the standard liner and a gerbings. If I was to do it again, I'd definitely get the windbloc darien electric liner instead of the gerbings and the standard.

One of the great things about the darien, is that it's pretty much just a shell, which is beautiful in the summer. I find adding just a gerbings liner isn't sufficient for New England winters. The standard liner and the gerbings I'm good, but, with the darien electric liner, you'd have the best of both worlds and could shed a layer (for bulk).

I have the Darien and Gerbings combo. I'm covered for all weather conditions from freezing weather to hot Florida summer days. I wore them both in Big Sky, Montana--temp was 38 degrees and raining--and the waterproof Darien kept me dry, the Gerbings kept me warm. thumbsup.gif

And I have all kinds of medium and heavyweight Polartec fleece jackets I wear under the Darien for temps where the Gerbings is overkill. There is no need to spend the big bucks for the Darien liner.

I've got a darien with the standard liner and a gerbings. If I was to do it again, I'd definitely get the windbloc darien electric liner instead of the gerbings and the standard.

One of the great things about the darien, is that it's pretty much just a shell, which is beautiful in the summer. I find adding just a gerbings liner isn't sufficient for New England winters. The standard liner and the gerbings I'm good, but, with the darien electric liner, you'd have the best of both worlds and could shed a layer (for bulk).

I have the Darian with the Kinetsu electric windblock liner.

I have used it down to 10° so far with good results.

While it doesn't FEEL as warm as the Gerbings, it is comfortably warm. Best yet, it zips in, has a flap over the zipper, and makes putting it on without dislodging the velcroed in pads, much easier. One layer, electric on for under 35, and off over.

Much better than putting on the gerbings jacket, then another layer over that, and then the Darian. It is a really decent off bike jacket on it's own as well, and reversable, and only about $75 more than the Gerbings Jacket.

Worth the cost for me.

Jim cool.gif

I have the Darian with the Kinetsu electric windblock liner.

I have used it down to 10° so far with good results.

While it doesn't FEEL as warm as the Gerbings, it is comfortably warm. Best yet, it zips in, has a flap over the zipper, and makes putting it on without dislodging the velcroed in pads, much easier. One layer, electric on for under 35, and off over.

Much better than putting on the gerbings jacket, then another layer over that, and then the Darian. It is a really decent off bike jacket on it's own as well, and reversable, and only about $75 more than the Gerbings Jacket.

Worth the cost for me.

Jim cool.gif

I agree with Jim - Darien & Kinetsu - they work really well together.

Brian

R1200RT

I have a Widder setup, and I can say that after owning both the windblock kanetsu and the airvantage kenetsu, that the aerostich stuff is not up to snuff. as several folks have mentioned here, it doesn't get as warm as the widder or gerbing stuff - so why buy it if it is a) more expensive and b) doesn't work as well?

get either a widder or a gerbing with an adjustable thermostat if you want to be warm. the stich stuff is better than nothing, but honestly, i've ridden in 28 degree weather with my stich stuff, and it doesn't cut it compared to the widder stuff. when it is that cold, I want to feel the warmth. the stich stuff talks about "subtle" heat - frankly at anything below 45 degrees, "subtle" heat is not what i want.

if you want to be truly toasty at below 45 degree temps, avoid the stich stuff. i sold both my liners after trying the widder, there is no comparison.

FWIW, I JUST recieved the new Warm n Safe liner from same folks. They have been a supplier and have assisted Gerbing over the years with some innovations. Their liner has attempted to solve some of the issues inherent to heated clothing, like getting it to fit snugly enough to transfer heat, but not so tight that it binds the wearer. WS did this by incorporating spandex to ensure a more snug fit, and it appears to be effective. Additionally, chord management has been addressed and each one has it's own special place to reside.

The WS liner puts out 100w. That should be pretty stinking warm. We'll see soon.

www.warmnsafe.com

The owner, Mike Coan, offers significant discounts for clubs as well, so don't poo poo the sign in if you decide to purchase. 20% or so seems to be what it is.

I have a Widder setup, and I can say that after owning both the windblock kanetsu and the airvantage kenetsu, that the aerostich stuff is not up to snuff. as several folks have mentioned here, it doesn't get as warm as the widder or gerbing stuff - so why buy it if it is a) more expensive and b) doesn't work as well?

But that is just it. It does work as well, for me. I don't like being hot when it is cold outside. I want to be comfortable, and the Kinetsu liner is just that.

I was constantly running my Widder at a very low setting, and the chaps didn't keep my whole arms or legs warm.

The Kinetsu liner has a great windblock ability, plus a little added heat works perfectly, and it makes putting on the jacket easier.

At any rate, if your goal is smoking heat, the Kinetsu isn't for you, but if you want quality comfort without layering, look again at the Kinetsu liner.

Just my opinion.

Jim cool.gif

hey jim, i sold you your damned aerostich, i should know ! wink.gif

Yeah, I know, but I disagree nonetheless! grin.gif

Maybe you didn't have the right controller on it.

Mine seems to work pretty good. Not as hot as my Widder, but very comfortable.

Jim cool.gif

I already had the Gerbing when I bough the Darien. I ordered my Darien with the standard liner and just throw the Gerbings on underneath if it gets real cold. My usual base layer in cool weather is a cotton/poly blend turtleneck. The Darien and standard liner keeps me warm down into the low 40 degree range without any trouble. Colder than that, or for prolonged rides with temps lower than 45 and the Gerbings goes on. I like the fact that the Darien liner keeps the heat inside the shell where it belongs, allowing a lower setting on the Gerbing. Without the liner, the breathability of the Darien can cause some areas to cool off a bit. It's not that you get cold, just that some areas are much warmer than others and it's an odd feeling. I prefer uniform temps all over my bod. A side benefit for me is warm hands. As I've grown older my hands don't stay as warm as they used to. Doc has me on some meds that make this even worse, especially if I get chilled. The blood just drains out of my hands and they won't warm up. With my core nice and toasty however, the hands stay very warm.

The Darien liner makes a great fleece jacket by itself too. When you're done riding for the day it's pretty comfy to wear as you would a sweatshirt or sweater (think about the style statement grin.gif). You can do this with the Gerbings liner too, but it works better as a windbreaker.

Archived