IGNORED

2005, 2006, 2007, K1200S???

Whip

Do it! (where's that devil emoticon when you need it...)

A lot depends on whether you like to have any braking feel or not. The 2005-2006 have the power/servo/whatever brakes with all the attendant issues and the 2007-on are free of them. Plus the 2007 is more likely to have the updated cam chain tensioner (although it can be installed on any model) and the newer ECU (BMS-KP) and be free of the fueling issues that affected some of the early models. Also if you want the latest goodies (TPM, ASC, etc.) those were only available from 2007-on.

Sorry, you know I work in the space biz so I'm kind of used to TLA's (three letter acronyms.) TPM is the BMW tire pressure monitoring system and ASC is automatic stability control which will limit rear wheel spin and tendency to lift the front wheel, something the new K-bikes will do willingly when heavy on the throttle (you can also disable it if you really feel the need to be drifting around turns.)

The ECU comment relates to an upgrade that occurred sometime in 2007, not essential but desirable. The only two expensive problems with the new-gen K bike was the standard BMW tendency to eat final drives (mostly an issue with the early bikes and not that common with the later, just like the hexheads) and potential problems with the cam chain becoming loose for milliseconds in some weird transient condition and skipping (which can take out the engine if it skips enough, and it has happened.) The problem seems to have been fixed by a new tensioner and what is called a 'jump guard' (a part BMW introduced to fix a problem they didn't have ;-) ) that makes it impossible for the chain to lift from the lower sprocket. I'm not aware of any failures on a bike with both of these items attended to so hopefully that issue has been banished. Both of these fixes can be applied to any model year bike so mostly it comes down to whether you want the whizzy brakes or not.

The biggest problem with the bike is how easily and deceptively they go stupid fast. It was all I could do to summon up the willpower to let you guys get so far ahead of me at Torrey.

Thanks Seth

I put 20,000 miles on a 2007 K1200R Sport with no issues.

Mrs Whip hated riding on the back, so I got somethin else.

Now I am doing more one up riding and wish I had it back.

There are some good deals on low mileage 2005-06s.

Just trying to learn a little before I walk the plank.

I have no problem with the Servo assist breaks. The other stuff sounds fixable except maybe the old ECU. I don't care about the TPM or the ASC.

:thumbsup:

I have no problem with the Servo assist breaks. The other stuff sounds fixable except maybe the old ECU. I don't care about the TPM or the ASC.

Then you might as well go with one of the earlier years, pricing is an absolute steal on those for what you get. You don't need to worry that much about the ECU, if the bike runs well then no worries.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. I have a r1100r and will keep it but am looking at a 2006 K1200r in my neighborhood with 19,000 miles. Asking $7,500. I am concerned about potential trans issues. Also is this a bike I can perform most of the services? Would appreciate any feedback before I consider making offer. Thanks.

Whip - there is not much in the way of dramatic changes between 2005 and 2007. Seth called out the servo change, but it sounds like that is not a big deal to you.

The rest of the updates can be done by you with a few simple hand tools. ;)

I think the K12/K13 series will go down as one of the best bad ass touring platforms of all time. BWW F'ed up when they dropped the line.

The K16 is a bloated, over complicated pig.

I'll be happy to help you with the updates when you get the new rig.

Cheers!

Firefight911

I think the K12/K13 series will go down as one of the best bad ass touring platforms of all time. BWW F'ed up when they dropped the line.

Truer words haven't been said!!!

Calvin  (no socks)

Bought my Beta '05 K12s brand new, went back to the dealer for the 600 service and never looked back, I do all the work...and I now have 53k on her...Love that bike. I'm on my second seat, second windshield, and can't count the tires....

Dennis Andress

:wave:

I don't know much about the 2005 - 08 K1200 S. But, it might be a good idea to ride a K1300 before buying. People I know know who've owned both say the 13 is much better.

One thing I found with my S; the front shock's preload is set too low for my 220 lbs. On rough roads the darn thing was bouncing off the rubber stop on the shock's shaft. The preload adjuster is a PITA to get too. I was able to get about 1/2 a turn on it which helped a lot. This is a non-ESA bike, but I don't believe ESA can change the preload on the front.

The K1600 is the new Buick...

Bought my Beta '05 K12s brand new, went back to the dealer for the 600 service and never looked back, I do all the work...and I now have 53k on her...Love that bike. I'm on my second seat, second windshield, and can't count the tires....

ah you don't count, you ride that S a thousand miles for a cup of coffee and a spot on the floor to sleep.

I could only imagine what you'd do for a bed and a meal...

:P

Whip,

You know the drill.

Get the best example you can find with the farkles you want, and ride it.

Good luck.

I rode the S before i bought my GT and i had an R before i rode the S.

The S is so comfortable for a hyper sport touring bike i was shocked. The only reason i went with the GT was because the significant other was more comfortable on it. But it wasn't a huge difference at all especially in the sport two person suspension mode.. it felt more agile like my K12R.

Rode home in rain and hail on the K12R from WV to MA with a stupid sport windscreen, got home and ordered a taller one with a laminar lip and all was better.. I keep seeing those k12Rs selling kinda cheap in my area almost tempting enough to get another.

Cant go wrong with any of the k12's or 13's in my opinion. All very fun and decent to tour on.

Archived