IGNORED

Gas leaking out from one of the vent tube

dlee

Hi all,

I have noticed that the gas is leaking out from one of the two vent tubes on my 94 R1100RS.

It's the one tube that has a white line on it.

Since the leak is coming out slowly from the area under the tank.

I would like to seek any help to determin what actions need to be

taken to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance.

DJ

roger 04 rt

It could be leaking for one of two reasons.

1) You filled the tank to the top with cold fuel, it heated and expanded, got into the filler neck and ran out one of the tubes. Probably not this but worth mentioning.

2) One or the other vent lines inside the tank is leaking internally and allowing fuel to get into the line. It's probably this. If so you'll have to pull the tank and replace the internal vent lines.

If it's the canister line that is leaking and the canister has filled with some fuel, you may get a surprise. You'll take the bike out, after about 5 minutes the canister purge solenoid will open and your bike will stall.

Guess how I know all this?

Has your canister been removed? If so, you can't fill it to the brim, then park it. You need to either fill up about 10 miles from your destination. If you have to fill up and park it, leave an inch or so at the top of the tank.

Thanks for the reply.

Let me try to explain further.

What happened was that I fill up the tank and park the bike on the driveway for the winter season and only rode for few times.

Last time I rode it, at about 45 miles on the odometer.The low fuel light came on. Which meant that most of the fuel leaked out during the months.

I am trying to find out to see if this is something as simple as to

check to see if the vent tube was cracked or not fully connected and replace it. If it is, where can I find the right size?

I did notice some cracks in the lower part of the tube connected to the plastic connector which connect to the final tube towards the ground.

Or something more serious need to be addressed.

Thanks,

Sorry I am not that mechanically inclined.

Not sure what you meant by removing the canister. I have done anything to the tank or the vent line.

I may need some help how to remove the gas tank.

Thanks,

roger 04 rt
Thanks for the reply.

Let me try to explain further.

What happened was that I fill up the tank and park the bike on the driveway for the winter season and only rode for few times.

Last time I rode it, at about 45 miles on the odometer.The low fuel light came on. Which meant that most of the fuel leaked out during the months.

I am trying to find out to see if this is something as simple as to

check to see if the vent tube was cracked or not fully connected and replace it. If it is, where can I find the right size?

I did notice some cracks in the lower part of the tube connected to the plastic connector which connect to the final tube towards the ground.

Or something more serious need to be addressed.

Thanks,

If you see fuel dripping near the right footpeg now, then I would guess that your vent lines INSIDE the tank are leaking. Some might disagree, but I would say this is serious if this is where it was leaking. You will need to have someone remove the fuel tank, open it, and replace the internal vent lines.

DLee - remove the seat and the right side panel. There are two thin rubber lines coming down the right side of the bike (not the two thick fuel lines). These two lines are 1) the drain line from up around the fuel filler cap (when you pop the fuel filler cap you will see a small hole on the left side. That is for keeping fuel and/or rainwater from pooling up under the filler cap); and the second line is the fuel tank vent line, that allows the fuel inside the tank to escape when it expands. Both of these lines run down inside the fuel tank and attach to a couple of nipples on the inside of the fuel pump cover plate. The nipples pass through the fuel pump cover plate and hoses attach to them, which run down the right side of the bike to the rear of the tank. The vent line then continues to the vapor recovery canister that is mounted to the rear subframe on the right side of the bike (remove the saddlebag to see it), and the other (the drain line) connects directly to a short hose that drops down to around the right footpeg. Is your suspicious line one of these two lines??? Betcha it is.

If the vapor recovery canister has been removed, the vent line is usually just run alongside the drain line to the right footpeg.

If one of these lines springs a leak while it passes down through the gas tank, it will allow gasoline to drain out near your right foot. If you still have the canister, and that line is the one that springs the leak, the charcoal inside your canister will get destroyed, requiring the canister to be replaced or removed (no one replaces them).

Now that is a super knowledgeable reply. I hd the same problem with my 94rs. My friend at Global Riders..Che..rerouted the lines to the front under the tank and the leak disappeared. I had not known the fillup procedure. duh oh well the bike has performed well all these years.

Archived