IGNORED

Are you trained in First Aid?

FLrider

Another group I ride with was recently discussing this issue after someone fell down and went boom. None of the other riders had a first aid kit with them and in this particular case, the fella' got scraped up pretty good and could have used a bandage or two.

Got me thinking that, if something more severe had occurred, not only would we have not been prepared but even if we had the "stuff" would anyone really know how to provide proper application.

I'm talking about a compound fracture not a bee sting....(yes, I know some people can die from bee stings)

Anyway, I contacted the local EMT unit and they will send a certified EMT out to any group of 10 or more to teach them about field treatment of injuries related to riding motorcycles (breaks, lacerations, sprains, etc.,) as opposed to "emergencies" resulting from eating too many cheeseburgers and having a heart attack. I don't need or want to take another CPR course.

So, I'm trying to put together a group of guys in my local (Tampa/St. Pete, FL) area together to sign up for the class. It's $25 per person.

Questions is; 1) How many here have taken a non CPR first aid type class? 2) Have you ever had to apply what you learned.

Now before some of you start flaming me for my CPR statement.... I understand how important CPR is and how one might need to administer CPR to a fallen rider, BUT that's not the training I'm focusing on here so, please.....

Joe Frickin' Friday

Good on you for working to put this together.

If you're not able to put together a group of 10+, you might be interested to know that these guys run motorcycle-specific first-aid courses all over the country (although there is a fee).

At that link, click on Classes --> Class Schedule, then click on the big "etouches" logo to get their class schedule.

Call 911, monitor Airway, Breathing, Circulation (aka bleeding) and keep the victim calm and still. EMS will be on scene before you have time to think about splinting a compound fracture.

Training is good but human instincts work in a pinch during emergencies.

RoadGuardians has a relationship with ASMI.org (I used to teach under them as well, before the economy crashed).

I would recommend the ASMI course over the EMT-led course every time.

1. ASMI requires EMT or better certification of their instructors.

2. The ASMI curriculum was specifically developed for other cyclists.

BMWMOA had a nice write-up of an ASMI class I taught in NJ a few years ago. (2008?)

Disclaimer:

EMT, FF, Paramedic, EMS Instructor (retired)

...EMS will be on scene before you have time to think about splinting a compound fracture...

There are lots of places, especially in the West, where this is not the case.

SteveHebert

During one of my BB&B events a few years ago, I scheduled the group to attend first responder training at the local rescue squad in Enterprise, AL. We went to the training facility and they were more than happy to talk with us and demonstrate. I believe that everyone got something out of it.

It is very good to know the basics and a treatment kit is highly recommended.

As an aside - These "2nd aid" issuses (as I like to call them) are usually covered in wilderness first aid courses. They generally focus on "what to do when the ambulance isn't coming".

Look around for groups that find themselves in remote areas, and you're likely to find a wilderness 1st aid course (commercial fishermen, mountain climbers, etc.)

We were at Steve's BB&B, Tampa Bay Rider's presentation at belt sander races a few years ago.

In addition I am required to be CPR/First Aid trained and have current cert.

I carry a First Aid Kit on the bike, always have.

I have had to use training.

Stay calm, follow basics, try to get professionals involved ASAP.

Always a good idea to train, IMO.

Firefight911

KMG_365 and I both teach a Motorcyclist First Aid course specifically designed arou d this very topic.

Jamie is a Firefighter in Coronado, CA and I am a Fire Captain in Folsom, CA. We are both Paramedics.

Hmmm, maybe it's time to get that 50CC done!

Call 911, monitor Airway, Breathing, Circulation (aka bleeding) and keep the victim calm and still. EMS will be on scene before you have time to think about splinting a compound fracture.

Training is good but human instincts work in a pinch during emergencies.

Bullshit. California Bay Area: friend had a heart attack on the soccer field, 911 was called within 60 seconds, 45 minutes later they showed up to a city owned playing field, friend was dead. Try crashing your motorcycle on a back road out here somewhere in rural Utah, even if the volunteers respond immediately, which they usually do, it can be a long time before they get to you.

Get the training.

Yup. Combat Lifesaver. I have used it. I am no longer certified though. I do carry a civilian produced first aide kit in my bike now with a few extras. You'll have to ask Susan about her home stitches sometime.

Archived