IGNORED

painting panniers

BRT Rider

I am interested in painting panniers and top box lids.

Where is a good source to get BMW matching paint?

Do I need to remove lids, and if so do I replace rivets or use nuts and bolts?

Should textured surface be sanded down completely before painting?

I would appreciate any comments from anyone with experience with this.

Thanks!

Hi Bruce,

I live in Turkey. last month I made my pannier lids painted of mine 2002 1150 RT. The paint code written on the saddle.

I have changed the rivets with nuts and bolts. You should remove the lids from the body before paint otherwise it will be difficut to mask it.

My painter has applied special plastic primer before the paint to have reliable adhesion of the paint to the plastic. The lid of the BMW panniers made by ABS and surface energy is not an issue so that you will not face with paint peel off.

First scotchbrite sanding and primer and base paint and top coat a good painter will be able to have smooth surface without texture. At least my one has no texture now.

I hope it helps.

Cagatay

HI BRUCE

FIRST YOU NEED YOU TO APPLY AN ISOLATING AGENT THIS WILL STOP THE PAINT FROM CRACKING , IT HELPS KEEP IT FLEXIBLE.

THEN APPLY AN ACRYLIC PRIMER , FLAT IT OUT AND APPLY YOUR TOPCOAT THEN FINISH IT OFF WITH ONE FULL COAT OF LAQUER.

THE ABOVE WILL APPLY IF YOU INTEND TO USE A SPRAYGUN .

IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE AN AEROSOL THE METHOD WILL DIFFER.

YOUR LOCAL CAR SPARES SHOULD HAVE A PAINT MIXING SCHEME AND THEY WILL GIVE YOU A SPOT ON MATCH TO YOUR EXISTING COLOUR CODE .

KIND REGARDS

DEREK

STAY UPRIGHTAND HAPPY PAINTING thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I am interested in painting panniers and top box lids.

Where is a good source to get BMW matching paint?

Do I need to remove lids, and if so do I replace rivets or use nuts and bolts?

Should textured surface be sanded down completely before painting?

I would appreciate any comments from anyone with experience with this.

Thanks!

The only source for BMW-matched paint is Glasurit (www.glasurit.com). They are a BASF paint division and make BMW's OEM paint.

Paint adherance to paniers depends on the material they are made of. Older BMW paniers are made from polypropylene which is TOTALLY UNPAINTABLE. Basically like trying to paint teflon; it will NOT stick.

Newer BMW paniers appear to be made of ABS or Polycarbonate (Lexan). ABS will take standard automotive paint if proper preparation is done, but Polycarbonate will NOT, because the solvent in the paint attacks it.

Surface prearation is a must. Final sanding with 400 to 600 grit paper (preferably wet) is a must. Priming with a CATALYZED primer (NOT the usual lacquer-based primer) is a must.

So use care!

Bob.

The only source for BMW-matched paint is Glasurit (www.glasurit.com). They are a BASF paint division and make BMW's OEM paint.

Over here (Oz), you can go to any reputable paint dealer, give them your paint code and they'll mix up a perfect match in any paint system you like - acrylic, enamel, urethane etc.

I used a PPG agent to make some up for me, and they were exellent (and good value for money!) thumbsup.gif

Archived