IGNORED

Help me understand the R bike.

Joevano

I (we) have a K1200LT for traveling. She once had a R1200CLC but found it too heavy in the front and was afraid to ride for fear of dropping it.

She wants another bike and we're trying to figure out what to get. She will do day or weekend trips and we'll use the LT for the long ones. Her preference is for me to get something I like so she does not have to test ride as it has been a couple years since she rode much and gets too nervous riding someone elses bike.

Leaning toward the R1150 RT, which I have not yet ridden. I rode a R1200RT last year and after 5 minutes could not wait to get off. The ride was really stiff and harsh and my neck was killing me. Admittedly, it was a dealer demo and I have no idea how the suspension was set up.

I will have to ride another RT to see if I have the same issue.

Today I rode a R1150R and was not impressed. First problem was that it was dirty. My street bikes are never dirty, why would you show one for sale like that?

Anyway, the R1150R did not like to lean, just wanted to stand up. i have not experienced that before, or just did not notice it.

So to my question: does the R engine have a different feel when leaning in due to it's design? Was that perhaps an anomoly due to worn tires and other factors unique to that bike?

Saturday we're going to check out a georgeous K75S. Not sure what she will think of that but she thinks it beautiful, which is a good start.

She will need something easy to ride, relatively low seat, and comfy.

Thanks for hanging in and look forward to advice

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Sorry in advance but don't have much advice other than perhaps your riding style is driving your perceptions.

I trained a LEO for street work who "couldn't get the bike to lean". He had been programmed heavily to counterbalance. I had as well but, not so deeply, so we worked his programming out to get him to ride with the bike on leaning and head and eyes.

If you aren't physically comfortable though (neck pain) then you won't be happy on any bike that does that.

Witch_Doctor

Yikes . . . I would agree, your riding style is getting the better of your perception. You would be amazed at how far you can lean a boxer.

Well, I don't have much for chicken strips on any of my bikes. I've thrown the LT, the RS, my Goldwings in to the point if scraping the pegs and getting whacked in the back of the helmet by the SO.

So perhaps it was the worn tires. I did not pay attention to how flattened ot the back one was, I should have!

Saturday we're going to check out a georgeous K75S. Not sure what she will think of that but she thinks it beautiful, which is a good start.

She will need something easy to ride, relatively low seat, and comfy.

That would be a fine machine for a female. Smaller, lighter, and would be much easier to ride.

Yeah for the lowered 800ST. What you think of the bike handling is entirely irrelevant. WHat does your wife think of it? She's going to be the operator.

I really like mine. I have 52K miles on it and find it very reliable and fun to ride.

I recently tested a R1200R and found it to be an exceptionally fun bike to ride. Not worth the investment to get me away from the 800ST though.

John Bentall

I would look at a F650GS (the 800cc twin version), low seat/low suspension maybe, and fit an automatic chain-oiler so the the chain does not interfere with your riding pleasure.

or how about a Yamaha T-max 500cc scooter for simplicity of operation?

Archived