IGNORED

Feels like a wobble in front tire

cpayne

I have started to feel a wobble especially at low speeds. At a roll it feels like very rough pavement. I'm thinking a balance issue bearing play is not there. Any thing else to check?

Evening cpayne

Balance is a higher speed thing so it doesn't sound like a balance issue. Could be a tire wear issue or even a ply delamination issue.

Run your hands over the tire tread on-center & along both sides of center feeling for scalloping or uneven wear.

It doesn't take much front tire wear to become noticeable as you lay the bike over in a curve or turn.

Evening cpayne

Balance is a higher speed thing so it doesn't sound like a balance issue. Could be a tire wear issue or even a ply delamination issue.

Run your hands over the tire tread on-center & along both sides of center feeling for scalloping or uneven wear.

It doesn't take much front tire wear to become noticeable as you lay the bike over in a curve or turn.

I'll check it out . Thanks

What mileage do you have on your tyres?

What are the current tyre pressures?

Does it do it all the time or just on certain types of road surface.

Is it just following the 'overbanding' or expansion joints in the road (We call it 'white lining').

Andy

What mileage do you have on your tyres?

What are the current tyre pressures?

Does it do it all the time or just on certain types of road surface.

Is it just following the 'overbanding' or expansion joints in the road (We call it 'white lining').

Andy

I haven't had the bike very long. The rear tire has about 4K on it.The front looks good but have no record of mileage. I have put about 1K on the bike in about 1.5 months.

I just started noticing this the day before yesterday and I travel the same roads regularly, so the road surface should be ruled out. I feel the wobble at 35 MPH and below. I'll check the TP tonight.

Does the wobble occur over all surfaces or just some.

Is it wobbling all the time?

Andy

It happens more often than not on any road surface and feels worse when I'm obsessing over it. Not so much when I focus on riding and traffic. It just feels like something is off to me.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Be sure to check both ends of the bike. A back end problem can feel like a front end one sometimes.

Shake/pry/wobble the wheels to make sure bearing wear is not the cause when you check pressures. Fasteners on both ends too while you are there.

Evening cpayne

Checked the pressures they are not off by much maybe 1lb. Back tire has a very slight movement at 3-9.

I noticed upon close inspection of the front tire. I noted several black irregular spots one of which was about 3 inches going across the center. It looked like extra rubber melted in onto the tire and would not come off.

Looking over the receipts I saw reference to the police department buying tire patches/plugs but no record of what was patched The rear tire was replaced in 2011.

I guess this could cause it but I would think it would have been doing this all along. When I lean the bike and get off the center it is smooth.

• 3 weeks later...
Jerry Johnston

I would put it on the center stand and check the bearings and shock. Also give the wheel a spin and make sure the rim isn't bent.

Archived