IGNORED

Time to replace brake pads

tatt2tony

How much time would you estimate to replace the rear brake pads on a 04 1150RT, assuming you have all the tools and were a experienced BMW mechanic? Thanks.

To do the job properly, including cleaning the calipers and re-lubing the pins on the calipers, about 15-20 minutes.

Andy

To do the job properly, including cleaning the calipers and re-lubing the pins on the calipers, about 15-20 minutes.

Andy

+1

Its a simple job.

Is there a pictoral of this procedure... I am sure I can do it, but I love "watching" experienced hands before I try it...

Very interesting — I didn't know there was a dummies guide for brakes. I have one question and two comments:

Question: Do most people really go to this much trouble (total disassembly of the caliper)? I generally clean off the worst of the brake dust, with special attention to the pistons and seals, polish and lightly lubricate guide pin, deglaze the rotor, and replace the pads. I'm willing to change my ways, if they are in error.

Comment 1: I have been told that when deglazing disc brake rotors, to use dry flint paper, not carburundum wet or dry paper.

Comment 2: [p54] "Apply anti-seize to your caliper mounting bolts..." No anti-seize. Just clean the threads thoroughly.

The callipers just pull into two parts. The grease on the pins hardens over time and stops the brakes from fully releasing. It is just a five minute job to separate the two halves, clean up the pins and sockets, re-grease and put them together again.

Andy

Archived