IGNORED

Traffic Left Turn Signal

Bill1948

Why is it that when I want to make a left turn at a traffic light the left turn arrow seldom turns on. Friend of mine said it is because the BMW is not heavy enough to trigger the change on the traffic light. Live in So Calif. Any truth in his statement. Thanks.

Not so much a lack of weight, but a lack of steel and iron to induce a change in the electric current through the wire loop embedded in the pavement. If you can see where the pavement was cut and patched, it helps to ride on top of the patch.

If the turn signal is tripped by an imbedded inductance coil (the retangular pattern cut into the pavement at the intersection), then it's not weight, but metal density triggering it. Different stratagies have been discussed here before.

Try stopping with your bike with the engine over one of the cut in lines. Best to use an intersection of two lines. Another suggestion is to put your sidestand right on top of one of the lines. The idea of these stratagies is to interrupt the magnetic field flowing through the buried wires.

In some states, you can wait out a light cycle and then just run it using the excuse that your bike couldn't trip it.

-----

Thanks for both of your replies. Makes sense to me. It just frustrated me, not knowing what is going on. Thanks again.

Bill

DaveTheAffable
Some tips here.

If still an issue, contact the tragic authorities & report the signal as needing adjustment.

From that site - "If you ride a two-wheeled vehicle, you can attach a magnet to your shoe with epoxy paste so that when you pull up to an intersection, you're able to spot the wire and put your shoe right over it with the magnet."

I knew a guy who did this, and he started having medical problems. They said he was "Iron Deficient". It turns out the magnet was causing all the iron in his blood to pool in his left foot. In fact, his left foot weighed about 2 lbs more than his right foot. The doctors said he was a fool.

There were a bunch of us that were going to make some of these magnet embedded shoes this month, I guess we all would have been April Fools. :grin:

IIRC, some state recently enacted a law that allows red light left turns by motorcycles after waiting through one cycle.

If a signal doesn't change for me, I treat it like a stop sign.

I have a tricky light that doesn't trip for me either. I do a lot of riding at zero dark thirty when there is little traffic on the road. A lot of times I can trip the intersection signals (at least straight ahead) by flashing my brights. That often saves me from being stuck at an intersection.

There are tricks as stated previously. What works best for me is to position the bike at the extreme side of the "cutout" for the loop in the pavement, instead of riding over it dead center (which is usually where motor oil from cars is too). Position the bike over the side cut line. If that doessn't work, the signal becomes a stop sign for me.

"contact the tragic authorities"

I like the typo! :grin:

Dangd spill checker.

God mad me a bitter rider then right-her :dopeslap:

In Virginia the law has just changed to allow you to run the light if it doesn't change for you after two cycles of the lights...

I have found when I come up to intersections that have a separate left turn lane and traffic signal that if I pull the bike directly up over one of the cuts in the road where the sensor is buried that my RT will usually trip the signal.

If the turn signal is tripped by an imbedded inductance coil (the retangular pattern cut into the pavement at the intersection), then it's not weight, but metal density triggering it. Different stratagies have been discussed here before.

Try stopping with your bike with the engine over one of the cut in lines. Best to use an intersection of two lines. Another suggestion is to put your sidestand right on top of one of the lines. The idea of these stratagies is to interrupt the magnetic field flowing through the buried wires.

Has worked for me almost every time for over 20 years. I've trained myself to stop in the left tire track to position over the loop detector. Works 99.9% of the time with no added mass or magnets installed.

Not so much a lack of weight, but a lack of steel and iron to induce a change in the electric current through the wire loop embedded in the pavement.

Hmm, never seems to be an issue when riding the Harley. :/

I'll wait one cycle then go. Or, if a car pulls up behind me while waiting I obviously wait for the next cycle.

Pat

I've tried different strategies in the past, none of which were particularly successful.

Here in Orange County, California, I'm really happy to see more and more of the signals are actuated by cameras. My experience is that these always work for my bike. I've even seen them operate properly for bicycles.

Whenever I'm stuck at a signal that doesn't want to cooperate, I treat it as a defective signal and proceed cautiously after waiting at least one full cycle. I do try to make sure there's no cops around just in case......

I always try to stop at the road loops so that my engine is right over the embedded metal line. If that doesn't work, and 2 traffic light cycles have passed, I consider it legally fine to disobey the "malfunctioning" light.

For a traffic signal that won't change, I would argue California Vehicle Code section 21800 (d)(1) allows you to proceed through the intersection after stopping. For Ca riders, I would keep a copy of this law in your registration and insurance wallet in the unlikely event you are stopped for "running" a red left arrow. Enlightening the officer about the law could go a long way to avoid receiving a stub.

21800. (a) The driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection

shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle which has entered the

intersection from a different highway.

(b) (1) When two vehicles enter an intersection from different

highways at the same time, the driver of the vehicle on the left

shall yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on his or her immediate

right, except that the driver of any vehicle on a terminating highway

shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle on the intersecting

continuing highway.

(2) For the purposes of this section, "terminating highway" means

a highway which intersects, but does not continue beyond the

intersection, with another highway which does continue beyond the

intersection.

© When two vehicles enter an intersection from different

highways at the same time and the intersection is controlled from all

directions by stop signs, the driver of the vehicle on the left

right.

(d) (1) The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection

which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall

stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is

safe to do so.

(2) When two vehicles enter an intersection from different

highways at the same time, and the official traffic control signals

for the intersection are inoperative, the driver of the vehicle on

the left shall yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on his or her

immediate right, except that the driver of any vehicle on a

terminating highway shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle on

the intersecting continuing highway.

(e) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Any intersection controlled by an official traffic control

signal or yield right-of-way sign.

(2) Any intersection controlled by stop signs from less than all

directions.

(3) When vehicles are approaching each other from opposite

directions and the driver of one of the vehicles intends to make, or

is making, a left turn.

A few years ago NJ (or at least my area of NJ) replaced all of the induction sensors with visual sensors. I've had no problem in years. The RT is a pretty big bike anyway, and when I've been over in PA stuck in stop-light-land, I've yet to have issues with the induction sensors.

For a traffic signal that won't change, I would argue California Vehicle Code section 21800 (d)(1) allows you to proceed through the intersection after stopping. For Ca riders, I would keep a copy of this law in your registration and insurance wallet in the unlikely event you are stopped for "running" a red left arrow. Enlightening the officer about the law could go a long way to avoid receiving a stub.

21800. (a) The driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection

shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle which has entered the

intersection from a different highway.

(b) (1) When two vehicles enter an intersection from different

highways at the same time, the driver of the vehicle on the left

right, except that the driver of any vehicle on a terminating highway

shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle on the intersecting

continuing highway.

(2) For the purposes of this section, "terminating highway" means

a highway which intersects, but does not continue beyond the

intersection, with another highway which does continue beyond the

intersection.

© When two vehicles enter an intersection from different

highways at the same time and the intersection is controlled from all

directions by stop signs, the driver of the vehicle on the left

right.

(d) (1) The driver of any vehicle approaching an intersection

which has official traffic control signals that are inoperative shall

stop at the intersection, and may proceed with caution when it is

safe to do so.

(2) When two vehicles enter an intersection from different

highways at the same time, and the official traffic control signals

for the intersection are inoperative, the driver of the vehicle on

the left shall yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on his or her

immediate right, except that the driver of any vehicle on a

terminating highway shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle on

the intersecting continuing highway.

(e) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Any intersection controlled by an official traffic control

signal or yield right-of-way sign.

(2) Any intersection controlled by stop signs from less than all

directions.

(3) When vehicles are approaching each other from opposite

directions and the driver of one of the vehicles intends to make, or

is making, a left turn.

Don't you just Legaleze Mumbo Jumbo??

Check out section

(e)1

It seems to perfectly negate section (d)1

I'm so confused (again)

I have a tricky light that doesn't trip for me either. I do a lot of riding at zero dark thirty when there is little traffic on the road. A lot of times I can trip the intersection signals (at least straight ahead) by flashing my brights. That often saves me from being stuck at an intersection.

I'm going to try that. Some of the signals have light sensors that are supposed to detect the flashers on emergency vehicles. Maybe I can fool them.

I'm going to try that. Some of the signals have light sensors that are supposed to detect the flashers on emergency vehicles. Maybe I can fool them.

Just add a MIRT to your bike.

http://www.themirt.com/

If that's legal in Chicago I'll eat my chaps!

If that's legal in Chicago I'll eat my chaps!

It's probably not legal anywhere but it sounds pretty covert and hard to detect. As some say, it's only illegal if you get caught.

Local news story down here in San Diego about one of the small local cities getting complaints from everyone about how short the signal lights were during rush hour and how bad traffic was getting. Seems to me the news anchor said it took about 3 months but they tracked down the car/clown who was causing the problems. Turns out he had one of these "mirts" and found it installed behind the grill. Big fines, lots of P.Od drivers.

Many intersection are not equipped with sensors that will detect the strobe. Usually they are most common around fire stations to expedite exit from the station.

As for the traffic signal sensors, I've found that slapping the center stand down with my left heel, seems to do a good job on the problem left turn signal in the area where I conduct most of my enforcement.

Many intersection are not equipped with sensors that will detect the strobe. Usually they are most common around fire stations to expedite exit from the station.

As for the traffic signal sensors, I've found that slapping the center stand down with my left heel, seems to do a good job on the problem left turn signal in the area where I conduct most of my enforcement.

What's your opinion of CVC 21800 (d)(1) for riding through a red left arrow that won't change?

I know what the law was intended for but it seems to fit in this circumstance too. All depends on how the LEO/judge defines "inoperative".

CalTrans is installing a new overpass on SR99 in my town here in CA. Two new traffic lights near the off-ramp are controlled by radar sensors mounted at the top of the pipe holding the lights.

My TPS radar detector on the bike starts screaming each time I get within sight of each light. It gets a bit annoying at times when I have to sit and wait for the light to change! :/

WyreNut

Archived