IGNORED

Engine bars on R1200RT?

dyvking

Has anyone done this on their bike yet? I see that Wunderlich has a set, but I haven't seen any others. I would like to see the set up before I bite. I can just forsee all the aftermath my RT taking a nap in a parking lot somewhere when I'm not looking.

Also.. how about the BMW side case protectors. Anyone know how they work? Do they bolt to the frame, or just attach to the cases themselves? The pictures look pretty hokey to me.

I'd be interested to know if the engine bars from the 1200RT-P will be available for civilians. I'd seriously consider using those in place of the plastic cylinder guards for ease of maintenance.

Whoops..just read my own post. The title should have read "R1200RT" not GS. I have bars on the GS.. just wondering about same for my new RT.

The sidecase protectors are just plastic and attach to the bags with adheisive strips. Seems like if the bike tipped over they would take up all of the scratching. You could then remove it and attach a new protector.

I put the wunderlich engine guards on my 1200 RT and they look fine. Bolts in 6 places underneath. Wunderlich also makes saddlebag protectors but I havent been able to get those yet.

The sidecase protectors are just plastic and attach to the bags with adheisive strips. Seems like if the bike tipped over they would take up all of the scratching. You could then remove it and attach a new protector.

Thanks Dan.

Wunderlich also makes saddlebag protectors but I havent been able to get those yet.

Ok.. I hadn't seen those yet. I'll have a look. Safe bet they'll be better than the BMW ones. Thanks.

I put the wunderlich engine guards on my 1200 RT and they look fine. Bolts in 6 places underneath. Wunderlich also makes saddlebag protectors but I havent been able to get those yet.
You wouldn't happen to have a link handy to those engine guards would ya'?

thanks!

I used the Touratech guards made for the R1200GS. I think they look fantastic, although they might not be to everyone's taste.

Incredibly strong, machined aluminium with stainless steel brace inside.

Waaay better than the plastic BMW rubbish, IMO. Those on a friend's bike just broke off in a minor fall recently, leaving a whopping great hole in the head.

Here's a pic or the Touratechs:

touratech.jpg

the engine bars I got were thru bmw of santa cruz as well. they are full bars rather than just cylinder head covers. the saddlebag bar protectors were seen on the wunderlich website but are still in development.

Archived