IGNORED

Different suits for different bikes? Suggestions please

Scott A

For 5 years, I've been very happy with my BMW Kalahari riding suit while riding the RT. But I'm really unhappy with the same suit while riding the K12S. The fabric buffets around in the wind, the cold air seems to get through, even with the Goretex liner installed, and the longer jacket length leaves a pile of bunched-up fabric at the waist with the more aggressive riding posture on the S. Bottom line - I don't think the Kalahari suit works well without the great wind protection on the RT. I want a suit more designed to be in the windstream.

My summer suit is BMW's venting machine, and I really like the cut and comfort of that suit while riding the S.

So, all you folks that have switched from an RT to the dark side - did you switch gear too? What kind of gear are riders of K-RS and K-S most comfortable with? I want a suit with the all-weather versatility of the Kalahari, but something better given the wind and riding position.

Thank you for any suggestions.

I wear leathers on my Ducati and textile on my RT. I really love my leathers and feel they give me more protection overall.

I can see where leather would be better in the wind - thicker, with less tendency to buffet. Any recommendations for a leather touring suit (as opposed to racing-type). Something tolerant of rain? maybe the Atlantis 3?

maybe the Atlantis 3

I have one...like it. The leather is treated for water resistance (which means it does absorb some water) but works fine on the RT even in a light rain. I have a rain suit for heavy downpours rather than the gortex liners.

There are only small upper inside-arm vents in the jacket. But as long as you're moving, they actually are quite effective up to 90 degrees of dry heat....although I've managed in 100+ at that temp its just plain hot regardless of what you have on. wink.gif

Don't buy from a catalog, you really need to try both the pants and jacket on to get a proper fit.

maybe the Atlantis 3

I have one...like it. The leather is treated for water resistance (which means it does absorb some water) but works fine on the RT even in a light rain. I have a rain suit for heavy downpours rather than the gortex liners.

There are only small upper inside-arm vents in the jacket. But as long as you're moving, they actually are quite effective up to 90 degrees of dry heat....although I've managed in 100+ at that temp its just plain hot regardless of what you have on. wink.gif

Don't buy from a catalog, you really need to try both the pants and jacket on to get a proper fit.

But you're on an RT and an LT - do you think it would be as suitable (pun intended) on an RS, or an S? Do the sleeves and pants cuffs seal? I thought I remember seeing Atlantis pants with absolutely no mechanism to cinch them around the boot.

Come on, dark siders - somebody's gotta have an opinion. Who tours on an RS or S, and what all-weather clothing have you been happy with?

FWIW, have 2 outfits going. One is the mesh jacket (shorter cut), mesh gloves, and jeans - am looking for mesh pants to complete this warmer weather outfit. Colder time of year it's my Belstaff jacket (hip length with belt) and overpants, and leather gloves - oh a scarf. No problems with bunching up, maybe because of the belt? Boots are all season/weather.

Going to buy a 2 pc. Roadcrafter in the near future and am anticipating that's what will get worn the most except those hot days, then nothing beats the mesh!

No ballooning with any of the current ensembles.

But you're on an RT and an LT, do you think it would be as suitable (pun intended) on an RS, or an S?
Hmmmmmmm ..... an image issue maybe smirk.gifgrin.gifwink.gif

The jacket is a short style with rotated sleaves and seals well at the wrists with the normal zippered bellows arrangement and the pants do have a velcro attaching cinch at the bottom. The pants are cut in a more full pattern than sport pants, but then most sport pants tuck inside boots.

If it was me on an S, I'd go for most any Vanson product or the BMW ProRace suit which doesn't have that wannabe racer look even though the cut is race oriented - heck even my wife liked it....might have even talked it into a Christmas present - but, its probably not suitable for an RT driver like me blush.gif

Problem is almost all leathers won't meet your requirement of all weather...

Good luck in your search...

ShovelStrokeEd

If you must have leather, Vanson has some 2 piece suits that will probably work for you.

I tour on my S all the time with the Air Flow suit. If it gets cool, I put on my rain suit (BMW Klima Komfort) over top. If it's cold, the Gerbings goes under. I have a Belstaff hip high jacket that I wore with Gerbings liner and a wind stopper fleece between the jacket and the Gerbings and was comfortable on the Blackbird in mid 30's temps and rain on the ride home. I did notice that wind noise was up with that setup as the shoulder armor was directing air up under my helmet but that was the only problem.

With my shape, I don't get bunching at the waist in anything. Think pear, or maybe watermellon would be better. 5'10", 230 lbs.

Archived