IGNORED

Remanufactured (retread) Tires?

Mike O

December's issue of BMWON had an article about remanufactured (retread?) motorcycle tires which were reviewed very favorably. Specfically the Tomahawk brand Cycle Tires.

From their web site:

"2. The tires are retreaded, is that safe for motorcycles?

Our company has always used the most current technologies; processes, materials and NDT (non-destructive testing) to insure all tires (aircraft or motorcycle) meet our high standards.

Most people associate retreads with the chunks of rubber they see on the freeway or expressway lanes, and some of those chunks are from retreads, however, a significant portion is also from new tires. Most of those tread chunks are from over the road truck dual tire systems, and the cause is where one tire in that dual system has gone flat or has very low pressure, which puts an undue strain on its matching tire. If unchecked, this condition will overheat/overload the tire which has the correct air pressure, and lead to a flat tire, blowout or uncontained failure on that tire, which is what you would see on the pavement. The best practice for tire maintenance (new or retread) is to regularly check and maintain the correct tire pressure as stated in the owner's manual of the vehicle.

Just curious; Have any of you had experience with these (or other) remanufactured tires?

Regards,

Mike O

P.S. No affiliation

I would like to know more about them, frankly I like the idea of recycling. As long as they can be proven to be as safe, I have no problem with using them.

For complete information talk to CeeBaileys.com

You appear to have strong feelings about this. Care to share? Is it the manufacturer? Or the historical process? or?

Regards,

Mike O

When I was young, broke, and immortal in the 70's, I bought recaps for my crappy cars.

Now I am none of the above, and can't see how the small cost savings (5%)justify getting recaps. Truck and airplane tires are designed knowing full well that they will be recapped over and over; I don't think recapping is on the minds of motorcycle tire engineers.

<<<<<<<Flashback>>>>>>>>

The last Retreaded semi tire that poped while I was riding by.....

I will never be able to give you feedback as I will not be caught with retreads on my bike, or car.

Good Luck

I'd never use a retread. IMHO they can never be as trusted as much as a new tyre. I can't see the point in even taking on an extra 0.5% of risk just for the sake of a few £ or $.

You appear to have strong feelings about this. Care to share? Is it the manufacturer? Or the historical process? or

In spite of possible claims, or even proof, that the remanufactured tire is superior in tread design or compound I would never be comfortable knowing that the "history" of the core carcass was an unknown. It's doubtful that the process involves xray or other type of similar technology to examine the bands of cord internal to the tire wall.

It's doubtful that the process involves xray or other type of similar technology to examine the bands of cord internal to the tire wall.

As a matter of fact, the process includes Laser Shearography, which is years ahead of the old X Ray technology. In real time, it breaks the tire down into 7 sections of the tread area and 7 of the sidewall.

Here is a brief, big worded explanation about the features of the our high tech German SDS Shearography system: Incorporating the latest computer imaging analysis software, electronic Phase-Shearing-Interferometry methods, integrated laser-diode CCD camera, and adapted optic illumination image analysis in real time.

Check this link for a detailed explanation of the process and the machine used. Desser Laser Shearography Inspection System

The BMW rider is not our target audience for the tires and that is why there are few BMW sizes offered. Not that they do not work for BMW's, but Beemer riders as a group tend to be more "conservative" about new things. The article in BMW ON was not initiated by us and has become a mild irritant as we are getting a lot of interest in sizes we do not make. (Funny we are getting a ton of GS riders)

I am not trying to put anyone into a lesser category, but the Tomahawk Remanufactured tire customer profile is Joe Sportbike Rider commuting on his GXXR. He is overjoyed that he got a set of tires for $150 and can put that extra $75 he saved towards something else. The bonus that he got better wear than his old tire is a freebie since he was buying on straight price and now is a believer.

Over 7500 units have been sold in the past 18 months. The warranty ratio is similar to that of new tires, less than 1% and it would be balance, separation, etc. just like a new one would have. Beside the December BMWON article, there is also a test in the latest Sportrider Magazine, December 2005 issue regarding these tires.

In a nutshell, never use any item that you will ever have to second guess yourself on. Tires are a critical item and no matter how much you are told that they are ok, if you do not feel comfortable with it, do not do it. Even if there is nothing wrong with something, you can find fault in everything. I did not know my '02 1150 RT had a surge until you guys told me I had one and where to find it. It was all downhill after that smile.gif

Jerry Johnston
The BMW rider is not our target audience for the tires and that is why there are few BMW sizes offered. Not that they do not work for BMW's, but Beemer riders as a group tend to be more "conservative" about new things.

A nice way to put it. I think we BMW riders as a group tend to be older and more set in our ways then the younger groups of other makes. Sometimes we have to forget past experiences in order to keep an open mind.

Knowledge.....Knowledge.....Knowledge!!!

Isn't it amazing that nobody thinks twice about aircraft tires being retreads....(and they go from 0 to 100 -200Mph as fast as you can snap your fingers, when they're landing!!)

When I read that article in the ON...I immediately went to their WebSite, to see if they had them in my size. I wouldn't spend one nano-second worrying about them!! Sounds like their technology is ahead of our own standard tire manufacturers. I really wanted to do the Tiger patterned tires too!! thumbsup.gif As for the stories of truck retreads blowing..... well I've seen NEW tires do it too!

The whole thing sort of reminds me of oil changes.........

though BMW recommends them every 6000 miles....a good riding buddy insists on doing it every 3000 miles instead! Sure, he has peace of mind....but look at the money he's throwing down the toilet!!

Steve.....if they ever get them in the LT's size, I want to be the first one to get the blue tiger pattern ok? Thanks for posting......try to find some extra time to spend here, eh?

Pat

well said pat! thumbsup.gif

knowledge is a very important tool in this type of discussion, everything from big rigs to airplanes to huge caterpillar earth moving equipment have their tires retreaded for the simple fact that it's more economical for their company to do this process rather that purchasing new rubber. but my opinion when it comes to bikes, I don't think i would want to try one unless I knew it was put Thu the toughest inspections. therefore I won't grin.gifthumbsup.gif

[quote but my opinion when it comes to bikes, I don't think i would want to try one unless I knew it was put Thu the toughest inspections. therefore I won't grin.gifthumbsup.gif

How do you know your brand spanken new ones were? I can't believe every new tire is xrayed.

[quote but my opinion when it comes to bikes, I don't think i would want to try one unless I knew it was put Thu the toughest inspections. therefore I won't grin.gifthumbsup.gif

How do you know your brand spanken new ones were? I can't believe every new tire is xrayed.

I don't, but new rubber is new rubber right? The little bit I do know about retreading in my opinion should not have anything to do with retreading motorcycle tires. The only point I can see is recycling the used material. I just don't think it's worth the risk of my tire coming apart around a corner. Now if the technology of retreading came around to the same standard as what they build a formula 1 tire with then i would think about it. grin.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

What E.B. said!!

Doggone it Steve, you spoil our uninformed debate when you provide real factual information based on personal knowledge. grin.gif

When my response was... {{It's doubtful that the process involves xray or other type of similar technology to examine the bands of cord internal to the tire wall.}}

In retrospect, I should have said... 'I would feel much better about considering using these tires if I knew that the cores were subjected to Xray inspection or similar technology...'

And, to my inclusion to the BMW old fart catagory of rider that is reluctant to try anything new... I'm having LOADS of fun in that catagory!! clap.gif

Now if the technology of retreading came around to the same standard as what they build a formula 1 tire with then i would think about it.

Where does it say that it's not? Do Formula 1 tires go thru this procedure?

Pat

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I think that an orange front tire is just the ticket! `Sides, my stitch is blue and orange and the bike is blue, so I need some more orange. ya? I didn't know that Cee Bailey's manufacturers them, and I'm glad to buy from a friend of the brand.

I don't run them on my Semi because of the damage they can do to wiring,mudflaps, and air lines. I'm damn sure not going to put them on my GT!!!!!! thumbsup.gif

Let's see.....your Semi weighs in at how many 10's or hundreds of thousands of pounds?? And the GS is in the 500lb range......... confused.gifconfused.gif

Pat

Don't forget the 2-300,000 pounds a large aircraft with retreads weighs! dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

Actually, formula one tires are born to be destroyed in a very quick manner! thumbsup.gif

The tempeture and lateral forces they withstand are second to none. These bad boys are conceived from the finest materials formed into a masterpiece. Each one has it's own birth certificate, Weight to the nearest gram, rubber compound, and each have their own protective jacket that is temperature controlled and stays on up until race day . They are dynamic and statically balanced to the nearest gram inch, and not one is alike. thumbsup.gif

Anyone who has witnessed a formula 1 race, knows what those 4wheels with wings literly fly down the track at speeds of over 200+, the only thing that holds them to the ground is the spoilers are forcing the air upwards. so you can amagine the stresses these donuts go through grin.gifthumbsup.gif

I especially like watching them race in the rain!! the vortex coming off the rear spoiler is really astonishing to see! Not to mention watching the water spin off the tires up into the air!

way coooool cool.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifcool.gif

Archived