IGNORED

Replacement oil filler cap

TowJam

Haven't seen a replacement cap yet but I bought the tool to keep in my garage so I would not have to get into the under seat "tool kit" every time I wanted to add oil. I believe it cost me less than $3.00 at my dealer.

Eric,

Thanks for the link. Although $36 for a cap is kinda' steep (especially in view of the actual tool only being a few dollars), I found a couple of other items I'll be ordering from Bob's.

I'm looking for a replacement oil filler cap for my 1200RT that won't require a special tool to open/close. Any recommendations?

Touratech has two for the R1200GS that should fit:

One that requires a torx tool, and

a locking one.

I bought their little R1200GS tool that is used for both the windscreen adjustment and the oil filler cap. Actually, I got a second one for my keychain for the RT. They work well, and there's a bottle-opening function! A good bet for less than $8.00 thumbsup.gif

All the replacement caps I've seen thus far require a tool (or a quarter) to open. I wasn't aware that oil tampering was a problem. (Guess at the very least I'll need to start carrying a quarter with me everywhere I go.)

dopeslap.gif

I just use a rag and hand tighten the stock cap. It's never loosened or leaked. Haven't used the tool since the first time I added oil.

My stock cap leaks on my GS.

Anyone else have this on a Hexhead?

Jim cool.gif

I just use a rag and hand tighten the stock cap. It's never loosened or leaked. Haven't used the tool since the first time I added oil.

That's what I do! I haven't had to use the tool either!

Archived