IGNORED

But it's not out of gas

1NOTRED

After 146K nearly faultless miles, my 06 RT quit running while on the road. Acts like a carburetor that's out of fuel (slow, rough, hesitating halt). But, it has half a tank of fuel. Got almost home by 4-5 repeated start-ups after shaking the bike and waiting 5 min., with 50 yds of progress then another slow, rough die-out. But it finally gave up.

Disassembly showed no problems (as expected), and after a bit of fiddling it seems to start and run OK. Checked the two fuel line QDs at the top of the fuel pump, which appeared OK, although one may have been not fully seated. Battery is old although it has no problems starting.

Don't have a check box, so can't read the diagnostics.

Suggestions?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Sounds like the fuel pump controller. My '09 RT behaved like this when it failed in 2010. Bike acted as if out of fuel - and I thought it was, since I had been riding on a nearly empty tank. Stopped by side of road, shook bike around to try to move fuel over to the pump, and bike started fine.

A month later the bike stumbled with a full tank of gas, and so I knew something was wrong. Finally the stumbles became more and more frequent until the bike died again. I tried starting it a few times, no luck. Finally after a good five minutes by the side of the road, I got it to start and was able to ride a few miles home. GS-911 pointed to the problem, and the dealer replaced the FPC under warranty.

If you've never had it replaced, I'll wager it's the problem. There was a redesign of the FPC sometime after 2009 that evidently eliminates the problem (corrosion).

I recommend borrowing a GS-911 to verify the problem; if it's the FPC, it's easy to replace yourself. If you don't have access to a GS-911, then schedule an appointment and ride directly to your dealer for replacement.

Guest Kakugo

Or, if you have a mate with an Hexhead, borrow his FPC and run a test.

PS: don't throw away the old unit. You can use the wiring to build a bypass to carry with you.

Thanks, guys. I'll follow your suggestions.

Other, more recent inputs:

- In the past 200 or so miles, have noticed some very slight low-speed surging. Unusual, as it's not done this before.

- The fuel pump "power-up sound" with key-on is now not as regular as before; is sometimes very anemic. Or, am I not waiting long enough for the fuel pressure to go down?

- During a wiring check, I found the smaller, more central 3-wire connector on top of the fuel pump pulled out when tugged, suggesting it was not fully inserted during a clean-up a couple months (4000 miles) ago. Would correcting this solve this issue, or is it more likely the FPC?

- During a wiring check, I found the smaller, more central 3-wire connector on top of the fuel pump pulled out when tugged, suggesting it was not fully inserted during a clean-up a couple months (4000 miles) ago. Would correcting this solve this issue, or is it more likely the FPC?

Afternoon Yellowknife

Possibly but you would think it wouldn't run at all if that connector was pulled out as that connector supplies power, ground, & control to the fuel pump controller.

I would be more inclined to believe (if) that connector wasn't fully seated it could allow water into the connector socket & that would not take long to kill your FPC.

If you at all suspect your FPC now is the time to replace that as that little devil can strand you in the middle of a dark night in the fast lane of a busy hiway.

I know for a fact that an improperly seated connector can cause your problem down the road.

Prior to the John Day Unrally (2008), I serviced my motorcycle. During this service I disconnected the fuel pump. When I reconnected, I evidently did not fully seat the connector into the pump.

I was able to ride to the Unrally (500 miles) plus day rides at the event, including one extremely rough road. Bike ran fine....

Until I went to start the bike the morning I was to leave to go home. The bike would not start.

Fortunately, I had a GS-911 with me. Popped it in and it immediately reported a "Fuel Pump Final Stage" fault.

Upon removal of the left outer tupperware and a simple check of connectors, I found the improperly seated connector, pushed it in all the way, started the bike, and all has been fine since then.

Main point is if this connector is improperly seated, it is possible for the bike to run fine, be parked, come back the next day and not be able to start.

On an older bike, I found, after many tests, that part of the fuel line in the tank had cracked from age and was not getting enough pressure consistently since it was just circulating around in the tank. replaced the line, a very cheap fix, and everything was fixed.

On an older bike, I found, after many tests, that part of the fuel line in the tank had cracked from age and was not getting enough pressure consistently since it was just circulating around in the tank. replaced the line, a very cheap fix, and everything was fixed.

Evening Tim

Sure hope that hose isn't leaking on Yellowknife's bike.

As that sure isn't a cheap fix on the 1200 hexhead as those internal pump parts are not available from BMW & that submersible pump to outlet hose is a special corrugated large ID flex hose. (not at all like the 1100/1150 setup)

Maybe cobble something in from an automotive fuel pump to outlet submersible plastic convoluted hose with a bit of shopping around.

That hose has a pretty tight curlicue twist to use an un-molded large ID submersible rated thick walled hose.

The good news is I haven't ever seen one of those BMW 1200 high tec plastic pump hoses leak.

To wrap this one up, the bike runs fine following replacement of the original silver-color Fuel Pump Controller with a new black one.

A friend thought this problem might have been covered by a BMW recall, and if so, might this failure may be covered. True?

Evening Yellowknife

If it is a BMW recall they are keeping it pretty quiet. No recall that I have heard of anyhow. If a recall you should be getting a letter in the mail to bring your bike in for the recall. Or send in the receipts for partial reimbursement. (don't hold your breath)

But, some of the more customer friendly dealers seem to be stepping up to the plate & getting the FPC covered for their customers by BMW.

This failure is covered by a recall, and you will, perhaps in perpetuity, receive a new one free ... IF you are on the GS.

If you are on the RT BMW has some advice for you: Take a hike.

dc

Not that I know of.

There have been thousands of these failures but all you get is the chance to buy a better part which is only a partial solution to the design screwups with the fpc and the rest of the fuel system components. Unless of course your bike had been under warranty or this replacement dies in 2 years or less

Other know fuel system issues on R bikes

1) Cracking female fitting at flange - new part is metal reinforced

2) Cracked male fittings - still use plastic crap at factory. In fairness some of these may be caused by service techs- I've known some to complain about them getting easily damaged in normal handling.

3) Poor factory install procedure for fpc coupled with a water catching design that breeds failures - not changed yet (the R1200R had the well in a better position though)

4) Fuel strip failures- gone back to floats but no retro or relief for owners whose stuff fails and again there have been thousands. Some folks have reported a half dozen for their one bike.

At least the R1200s don't have the "inside the tank" problems of some earlier models that have fuel hose loops that split and in the tank filters that require breaking open the large gasketed port in the tank.

CoarsegoldKid

At least the R1200s don't have the "inside the tank" problems of some earlier models that have fuel hose loops that split and in the tank filters that require breaking open the large gasketed port in the tank.

Well that's big relief. :/

Archived