IGNORED

Lighter on its feet?

ttsakai

Hi All-

I just removed the radio speakers on my '02 R1150RT and took my bike on a ride thru some twisties and I have to say that it feels like the control of the front end seems to be much lighter and responsive. Can removing the speakers really make this difference in handling or I am experiencing a self fulfilling prophecy scenario?

I know the speakers do not weigh that much but they do sit very high on the bike which greatly affects the overall center of gravity.

Any thoughts?

Can removing the speakers really make this difference in handling or I am experiencing a self fulfilling prophecy scenario?

It matters little whether the difference is actual or merely perceived - in either case, you are equally pleased. Enjoy!

It DOES make a difference because they are so high up. At one time I got a used K1100LT with some fairing damage. While repairing, I left out the speakers, radio, and the speaker installation in the trunk. It became a different bike.

Just out of curiosity, what kind did it become?
Lighter, quicker handling, easier to manage tight twisty roads, less likely to fall over if it starts leaning. Everything in a small measure, but really noticeable. Close to the weight feel of the K75RT that I had before the K1100LT.

tt - I don't think it is your imagination. The 1150RT's feel top heavy because they literally have weight in their tops - speakers, lights, electric actuator for power winscreen. Remove this stuff and the center of gravity drops and the bike becomes more nimble and feels lighter.

I think this works similar to how unsprung weight works on the chasis, in other words, a small weight savings makes a large difference in feel. I know when I use my small cut-down summer wind screen that weighs just ounces it feels far more responsive than when i use my C-Bailey's barn door in cold weather. Of course, aerodynamics play some role, but the weight difference does also.

tom collins

tom collins

Archived