IGNORED

Spray Paint Touch-Up

Francis

I have a couple of areas that need some sanding and touch up painting. The paint repair kits have a small brush for very small "dings". Are there larger spray cans or kits that can do 2-4 sq inches of space on a R1150RT? The color I am looking to match is silver.

Francis

I have a couple of areas that need some sanding and touch up painting. The paint repair kits have a small brush for very small "dings". Are there larger spray cans or kits that can do 2-4 sq inches of space on a R1150RT? The color I am looking to match is silver.

Francis

Matching a metallic with a brush is impossible. All you get are streaks.

Unfortunately, spray cans cannot do a very good job of matching metallics either, because the pressure in a spray can is low compared with a gun, and the paint droplet size is big.

How about an airbrush with an aerosol-style can of pressurized gas instead of a compressor?

Bob.

It's possible to do a good repair. Unfortunatly it's not easy. Sand properly, prime, paint, blend paint and clearcoat the whole piece. Not easy to do at home and tough to get a quality job with a spray can. I used to do body and paint and custom painting. If it was on my bike I'd put a sticker over it. Yea, yea I know. I'm not as picky about keeping my bikes pristine as I used to be. That's why I got the old rtp. Or get some flexable carbon fiber sheet and make a sweet "cover". There are firms that make it out of real cf. Put one on the other side to match. Of course this depends on where the damage is. It may look good. We did this on my friends rs and it looked pretty good. Kind of like the stuff that's made for Ducs and sport bikes.

Archived