IGNORED

Cold Riding Undergarments "?"

Pananimal

body armor.......merino long undies.......north face...

I've used all of them....once at the same time......they work good and are easy to find....

Larry

Just got the the BMW thermal underwear top and bottom. The cut is designed with motorcyclists in mind and they are really comfortable. There are fleecy inserts in the areas where you need extra warmth. The top has extra fleece in the kidney area. I am 6'4" tall and the bottoms are actually long enough. Gotta love those tall Germans. I also bought the BMW silver function socks yesterday. I was previously wearing cotton.

Here are some links to other companies that offer quality coldweather underwear:

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

http://www.ems.com/

I like Patagonia brand. They have at least 3 weights of garments, from silk wt. to synchilla. They have their own catalog, or quicker they have a dot com. where you can find stores that carry their stuff.

I will second the Patagonia stuff. We started getting it as part of our standard SOF issue a year ago and I have been wearing two layers under my leathers...good down to the mid 30's and then I just wear a fleece jacket over the top and I am fine.

Christmas came early and Santa bought me a pair of Gerbings heated socks. Out on a two hour ride yesterday with my IAM (MSF) buddies, and I was the only one not to complain of cold feet!

(I have always been particulary troubled by cold feet)

I use Kathmandu ThermaPlus Active Thermal Wear. Very thin but very warm. Recently had a three for one sale at the end of our winter so stocked up for next yerar smile.gif

Woolrich. and wind breaker. I've used it in the teens and my body stayed warm. (ask any hunter too who's out in the woods all day). Good stuff. I, actually, am using the one my dad bought be 15 years ago. smile.gif

I ride al year round in sunny wales!! when its around freezing i use EZ undergarments and socks 10 out of 10. when we hit the minus temps its time for the gerbings jacket with out doubt the best bit of winter kit i have. Also find my Altberg boots not only the best boots ever but also the warmest

The Moth

I like underarmor. here

I prefer the loose stuff. They make some winter versions that are thicker.

clothes made from oil don't make good cold weather baselayers.

Why? I've never heard that argument before. Isn't all

synthetic clothing made from some form of oil distillation? What is the alternative, cotton? confused.gif

Whoops. Didn't read your previous post. Wool is good stuff if you can stand it next to your skin (what I assume you mean by base layer) Never heard of smartwool or the other one. Any links? I'm always on the hunt for better gear. smile.gif

I like the synthetic stuff for a skin layer for most applications. It keeps the sweat away & dries faster than cotton. It does tend to hold the stink a bit though. Only downside I have ever seen for synthetic skin layer is fire. This is why I'm not sold on the recent adoption of it by Marines & Army as an undergarment but that's just me.

I'm still intrigued by the oil based clothing argument. Tell me more! grin.gif

Why? I've never heard that argument before. Isn't all

synthetic clothing made from some form of oil distillation? What is the alternative, cotton? confused.gif

wool > the natural way. temperture regulates much better & doesn't smell. unbeliveably more comforatble than synth! cotton is the biggest POS of a baselayer going.

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gearguy/200510/20051027.html

http://www.trailrunnermag.com/trail%20tested/trail%20tested%2019.html

cotton is the biggest POS of a baselayer going.

I'm with ya there. OK when dry, might as well be a codfish when wet, life threatening when cold.

wool > the natural way. temperture regulates much better & doesn't smell. unbeliveably more comforatble than synth!

I'll have to give this a try. I'm a fan of wool, but haven't tried the new stuff. Sheeps wear that stuff for a good reason! Probably won't melt into my skin in a flash fire either. thumbsup.gif

All this stuff looks good, and I'm sure it is. Anyone have success finding good stuff at Wal Mart?

tongue.gif This time of year gets me thinkin' of my wallet. thumbsup.gif

i use merino "smartwool" as my base layer, and it rules. way toasty, fits great, works awesome. put this under a gerbing, put a windblocking layer over that, and you're done - good into the 20s.

Archived