IGNORED

Early RT1100 issues?

hcmiller92

I'm relatively new to the forum and am getting SO much out of this community. I have learned from my experiences that a forum like this adds to the enjoyment of ownership and the sport tremendously.

I bought a '96 RT1100 with 41k from Max BMW (NY) a couple of months ago. The bike was meticulously maintained and in 9+ condition. I was presented receipts for every spark plug and every minute of labor ever done to this bike. I had a couple of minor electrical (switch) problems I discovered after picking the bike up, but Max went above and beyond our deal on repairs and picked up the entire tab to fix. Those guys are princes in every way and I can't give them high enough grades for customer service.

My question: are there specific known issues/problems with '96-'97 RTs of which I need to be aware? I have picked up the notion there may be from a few posts on the forum, but the comments were very vague. I have seen the one issue of the splined shaft to the clutch wearing out but don't know that it's specific to the early RT11s, or to certain batches of parts. Another post told a potential buyer to "look for a '98 or later" RT.

Now, I'm not a "Nervous Nellie" or hypochondriacal, but I do hope to venture far from home next summer and don't want to get stuck in Gaspe or Newfoundland with a broken bike, stuck because of something that I should have known about. dopeslap.gif

Really appreciate your input and comraderie.

Curt

There are early RT specific issues and R1100RT general issues covered in the archives. Time has solved some problems that plagued the early RT's. Sealed batteries, advanced tire technology, tuning procedures, and after market accessories have kept your RT updated. Your RT given it's maintenance history is probably a better bike now than when it was brand new.

JON

Curt,

I have a '96RT with 52k on the clock. I'm the second owner so I know the complete history of this bike. So far,the only thing that has broken, while on the road, is the speedometer cable. I hear talk about spline failure but haven't felt convinced that a transmission input spline lube is warranted. I'm going to hold off on a spline lube until I notice downshift resistance. I replaced my alternator belt at 45k. If I was you I would make sure this has been done. I kind of worry about the clutch cable and throttle cables but, so far, no problems. I do lube the barrel, at the handle bar end of my clutch cable, from time to time. When I feel a little binding while pulling the lever in I just squirt a little chain lube on the barrel of the cable and the clutch release gets smooth again. I run synthetics in engine, trans, and final drive. Other than remedying surge issues, this bike has been stellar. thumbsup.gif

The '96 and early '97 models had some transmission and clutch problems. They normally occurred in the first 20-30K miles. I wouldn't worry about yours with 41K. Either you have a good one out of the box, or it was fixed. Ride and enjoy.

As an owner of a '96 RT that I have had since new I can assure you that it is as dependable as any other year R1100RT. At 71,000 miles it runs perfectly and has never had a major failure of any component.

I did inspect and lube the splines this last summer, they looked like new. While I had the bike apart I replaced the clutch, it still had some life in it but wasn't going to last another 70,000. I have also replaced the front disc rotor buttons, throttle cable (there is only one), and the clutch cable.

My biggest concern on my '96 is that it is now 10 years old. Rubber parts age. I intend to replace all operational rubber parts in the next couple of years. I've already replaced the rubber couplings (intake manafolds) on the throttle bodies. Also on my list will be all the brake line hoses, fuel hoses, etc.

Bottom line, you have bought a good year of a fine bike, one that could last longer than most of us. Enjoy.

Stan

Jerry Johnston

I bought a 96 new and have had very little problem in 58k miles. I had a strange problem with the transsmission locking up when downshiffing from second to first(twice in the first 12k miles and it went away after I put on miles and synthetic oil. I also had to have a head gasket replaced which I whish I had done so when it first started leaking (ran it for two years with a minor leak). Basically a great bike.

I had 96 RT #440058 and run 78,000 in 29 months with nothing but a broken speedo cable. I wish I still had it. No tranny, clutch, or rear diff issues with it. Great bike!

I have a '97 and love it. Checked the spline at 83,000 miles (first time done) and it looked new. Made me very happy. Have replaced the speedo cable and did have a Hall sensor failure this spring.

I would like to add something pertaining to the 96 RT's. The RT's sold before Jan 1, 1996 had 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty. I know some owners that had transmissions replaced that were fine. When I asked them why, they said," I just told the dealer I was having shifting problems to get a supposed better replacement tranny". "Nothing like having a high mileage bike with free new parts on it", said one friend that had 142,000 miles on his in early 98!

Curt:

I have a 96 RT with 134,000 miles. I bought it with 26,000 miles in 2000. The original owner replaced clutch at 13,000 (waranty). My final drive failed at about 62,000. I replaced clutch at about 85,000 and transmision at about 100,000. I could never part with this bike. It is to much a part of me. To many great rides with so many good people. Now to fix the oil leak at the cam chain tensioner. Go to that post.

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to answer my questions about the RT. I will continue to maintain the bike as meticulously as it had been for the first 10 years of its life and pay special attention to all the issues mentioned here. I am enjoying this bike more than I could have imagined. The build quality and smoothness are incomparable. I am an amateur photographer and use Leica cameras (as well as Nikons). The BMW is built like a Leica.

Steve's story is particularly inspirational...134,000 miles! Wow!

Thanks again,

Curt

611145-MyRT.jpg.b1a410c3e1248db8745d6bfdf273693d.jpg

Archived