IGNORED

Disconnecting the exhaust for clutch plate replacement

bmweerman

Evening troopers

I am typing this on my laptop in the garage while in the throes of dissasebling the RT for a clutch plate replacement/spline lube...

I CANNOT get the muffler/exhaust system off for nothing!!!

Any insights on how to get those pieces seperated

Heat?

Pull Harder?

A special oil-head chant to the gods of motorcycle maintainenance?

Any help appreciated!!

As always TIA

Did you remember to disconnect the O2 sensor? If not, it will prevent you from removing the muffler..... Don't ask how I know this.....

Stan

Clive Liddell

I wedged a piece of wood between the engine rear and exhaust front and then levered on this while rocking the whole muffler at the end. This started the outward move and then it was easy - remember it's heavy!

A special oil-head chant to the gods of motorcycle maintainenance

Yea and hold your tongue at a 30 degree incline and your good to go. thumbsup.gif

Seriously though...noticing the year of your RT and only a guess....you may have not had the joint in the system removed in a very long time. If that's the case, I would try spraying WD-40 into the joint and let it set for a few hours to penetrate. That joint can get mucked up from heat,water and road grime. Make sure the rear muffler hardware is completely removed and grab the muffler and wiggle it back and forth while pulling at the same time. Take a rest and count to ten...cause it's gonna take some more work. I've used a block of wood against the joint and a dead blow hammer with good results. Wiggle some more while pulling and it will come off.....eventually. When it finally does release itself, I would wrap some wet-dry sandpaper around the exhaust pipe and clean it well before reinstalling. Keep at it, even brand new joints are tough to remove.

Don't forget to clean all the WD-40 off the pipe joint before reinstalling.

Ok...I'm going to shoot some WD in there right now and let it sit while I go BACK to the hardware store for a 23 MM wrench to get that pesky O2 sensor off... tongue.gif then I'll come back and search the teenagers room for a block of wood...hey why not...she's got everything else in there! grin.gif

You guys are, as always, the best!!

thumbsup.gif

Followed you suggestions and mission accomplished. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifclap.gif

As to what I found in the teenagers room....sorry wrong forum. grin.gif

Tommorow morning off comes the airbox and starter and then....the real fun begins...I'm a little aprehensive about taking the driveline components apart ..but that will not, of course, stop me....

Damn the torpedos or something like that dopeslap.gif

Thanks again

Cameron

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Ditto the recommendation to use a wood block and (in my case) a mason's hammer. I preferred the square striking face. Also remember that the exhaust attaches to the center stand. Once you do get it apart, you may want to lube it to get it back together. I asked my dealer about using a lithium spray lube and was told that product may affect the oxygen sensor, but that a generic red grease/packing/bearing grease would be okay. Dangum, it was a gosh darn hassle getting the exhaust off!

It is really not that bad of a job. It is more like a lot of little jobs that add up to a major job. I can't over imphisize to take lots of digital photos, espically if it will be a few days before you go back together. Dont forget to cut the tyrap going to your gear indicator switch or you will jerk all the guts out of the switch.(It can be put back together, but PITA). you will have an intament knowledge of your bike when finished, so Go for it!!!

I saw this done recently at Tech day in Atlanta. I think it is a pretty big job and would suggest having a helper with all the parts removal you will be doing. Shawn, the sewer diver did this. Had lots of help, was still a bitch.

Thinking positively, when you button up the exhaust system after the successful clutch repair, the two rubber muffler supports at the centerstand are no longer available and BMW considers them unnecessary.

...the two rubber muffler supports at the centerstand are no longer available and BMW considers them unnecessary.

That's interesting to see. When I pulled my bike apart a few months ago to replace the clutch and gearbox, I noticed the empty holes where it looked like the pipe assembly attached to the centerstand. I put it back together like I found it, thinking I'd order some attach fittings sometime in the future. I guess now I won't worry about it! thumbsup.gif

the two rubber muffler supports at the centerstand are no longer available and BMW considers them unnecessary.

Well, that's handy!

Kind of makes you wonder though eek.gifgrin.gif

Thanks everybody I'll keep you posted

Update...

This is going slower than I thought but going well...

Just got the first look at the clutch and everything looks good in there...no oil leaks, etc.

47922249-M.jpg

47922243-M.jpg

My growing collection of disembodied beemer parts...note laptop used for frequent trips to this forum grin.gifthumbsup.gif

47922205-M.jpg

Cameron,

you look like you're doing great with it. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to call, I think you still have my numbers.

Matt

Archived