IGNORED

Question for Netflix users: cc billing? (possible fraud)

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

I have a charge on my credit card statement this month from "NETFLIX NONE LOS GATOS CA" for $7.99.

We are not Netflix members, and I don't remember signing up for a membership, so I called my CC folks and retrieved a phone number associated with that transaction, then called up Netflix at that number.

The Netflix rep said they had no transactions associated with my credit card number. :confused:

I asked her what a Netflix transaction normally appears as on a member's CC statement, because "NETFLIX NONE" seemed like a strange phrase. I googled "NETFLIX NONE" and couldn't find anything relevant.

So my question:

If you are a Netflix user, what does the charge on your CC monthly statement look like? Does it say "NETFLIX NONE LOS GATOS CA", or something else?

No matter what, I'm getting the charge reversed (probably going to get a new card too), but I'm just curious.

szurszewski

We are lucky enough to get a gift supscription that covers most of each year of our use, but when charges do come up, they start with something like "debit" or "credit card" then a date, then this:

NFI*WWW.NETFLIX.COM/CC NETFLIX.COM CA

and then numbers indicating the account and transaction codes.

Never seen a specific city listed in ours - yours does seem weird. What did Netflix say when you told them what the transaction said? (I mean, did they say, ours wouldn't say that, or ours might say that?)

josh

We had a similar thing with "Apple iTunes". I kept yelling (figuratively) at the kids for buying songs without asking and they swore up and down they didn't. Frankly, it was too much effort to try and figure out who was telling the truth for a few $.99 charges here and there. With the occasional $2.99 charge thrown in it added up to $92 over the course of 15 months or so. I finally got fed up and called the CC company and determined that it was fraud.

I have heard somewhere, that the identity thieves will usually start off with smaller amounts as stated above to make sure the info they have is valid and the card works. Eventually, they try to get larger amounts.

Good to catch it early.

My Netflix account just charged me and it was listed as

"NETFLIX.COM CA"

Definitely sounds fishy. I would do what you already planned. Everytime I have something weird happen with my card I cancel and order a new one with different number. Its worth the 30min of updating varias things with a new card number versus taking the chance of having a large number of bogus charges popping up.

Absolutely, shut down that cc # and get a new one. Best to keep the bank liable for all fraud charges and keep yourself in the clear. Low charges are a way to test a card and then WHAM, you get a $1000 phone bill from London. Happened to me.

NFI*WWW.NETFLIX.COM/CC NETFLIX.COM CA

Mine is the same as Josh's.

I have a credit card that I only use for internet purchases. Today, I got the email/call from my bank telling me that they are sending me a new one. Seems someone tested it at a hotel in PA for $8.75 this morning. This is why I have a dedicated cc for use on-line.

I still laugh when I think about my bank calling me to report possible fraud; " Your credit card has charges of less than $15 each at gas stations in IL, IA, NB and CO. All in one day!" :grin:

I have heard somewhere, that the identity thieves will usually start off with smaller amounts as stated above to make sure the info they have is valid and the card works. Eventually, they try to get larger amounts.

Good to catch it early.

That is exactly how it worked on our cc. We had a couple netflix charges, we called and had them taken off, but a month or two later we had a bill for a hotel in Spain. I would call and cancel ASAP. Within a year of that happening, our checking account was hacked. Someone was able to electronically cash a check from our account. That really sucked, so keep an eye on everything. Not sure if the 2 were connected, but I would keep a close eye on everything.

Joe Frickin' Friday
We had a similar thing with "Apple iTunes". I kept yelling (figuratively) at the kids for buying songs without asking and they swore up and down they didn't. Frankly, it was too much effort to try and figure out who was telling the truth for a few $.99 charges here and there. With the occasional $2.99 charge thrown in it added up to $92 over the course of 15 months or so. I finally got fed up and called the CC company and determined that it was fraud.

FWIW you should be receiving an email every time iTunes charges you for something; they send the notice to the email address associated with the iTunes account.

As it happens, my credit card was in fact compromised back in January; there were a few fraudulent charges, but AmEx reversed them and overnighted me a new card, and the whole matter was over and done with. the new credit card number is only about a month old.

I guess I'll be keeping a close watch on the activity over the next few weeks...

:lurk:

markgoodrich

My bill on my credit card statement reads "Netflix None" Los Gatos, and has for a long time. In Quicken it downloads as "Netflix" but under the memo each month is a series of numbers followed by the word "NONE." I have not noticed any odd charges on any of my accounts...I check them two or three times a week after having various cards compromised over the years. I dunno what the "NONE" means, but I don't think it's a problem.

When I click on the details of the credit card charge it shows "doing business as Netflix," with the correct Los Gatos address for Netflix.

Now, as to why you got a bill when you're not a member, that's another story.

• 2 months later...

Last February I gave my uncle a year's subscription to Netflix as a birthday present and I paid it in full. Today he called me and said his Netflix wouldn't work because there was a problem with the credit card on file. About a month ago I had my cc company reissue the card because of a suspected fraud issue. I found out today that you need a valid cc # on file with Netflix because they test it every month - even if the account is prepaid. That doesn't seem right that they can force you to do that but I'm sure at some point in signing up I clicked "accept" to three pages of terms and conditions.

Archived