IGNORED

Using the 1200RT's computer oil check feature

St0nkingByte

OK the guy that sold me my bike said this might cause confusion but I figured hey I'm a smart guy so it'll work OK for me, but it's not.

When exactly should I expect the oil check feature on the bike computer to work on my R1200RT? I've tried it a bunch of different times and it's never told me anything except --- until last night when I got home from work but before I shut off the bike I switched to it and it did give me a check, then 30 seconds later when I switched back it just told me --- again.

Is it completely worthless or is there a set of circumstances in which it should regularly function? I was thinking if there was a specific time it would give a result I could use it to keep close tabs on my oil level, especially during break-in. So far I'm looking at putting a little flashlight on the bike so I can more easily check the sightglass.

The oil light is basically worthless in my opinion. However for the little light, I found that a mini maglite fits perfectly in the little clamp on the door of the radio compartment. I don't have a radio in mine, just a little catch-bag, don't know if the idea works if there's a radio present. Luck, GW

When exactly should I expect the oil check feature on the bike computer to work on my R1200RT?
Never.

For 10 years no one has ever been able to accurately, repeatably measure the oil level in a oil-cooled boxer. How in creation can anyone (including BMW themselves) ever expect a sensor to do so?

Forget it's there, tape over it, whatever.

Survived-til-now

I think my oil check works fine but the little "!" that pops up on the display when riding is a bit sensitive and I tend to ignore it.

The oil check feature is only supposed to work with the bike at working temperature, after 7 or so seconds steady state, and with the footrest up. I am not sure but I think the bike has to be in neutral - all this is buried in the handbook...

Whilst you were looking at other things you hadn't perhaps put the footrest down?

The temperature gauge - now that is another thing entirely.... useless cr@@ feature. if my GM car can get it right why can't BMW

I think my oil check works fine but the little "!" that pops up on the display when riding is a bit sensitive and I tend to ignore it.

The oil check feature is only supposed to work with the bike at working temperature, after 7 or so seconds steady state, and with the footrest up. I am not sure but I think the bike has to be in neutral - all this is buried in the handbook...

Whilst you were looking at other things you hadn't perhaps put the footrest down?

The temperature gauge - now that is another thing entirely.... useless cr@@ feature. if my GM car can get it right why can't BMW

I may have had put the kickstand down between the one time it worked and the next time it didn't. Interesting, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I'm thinking end of the daily commute, in the driveway, sit still in neutral for a few seconds and then check it.

The general consensus seems to be that the BC oil check option is a $50 paperweight. (Personally, I didn't even want it but my RT was already configured with it.)

And to add insult to a $50 injury, you still need to use the sight glass once the ! is displayed. WTF????

Bottom line: The sight glass is your friend.

[quote

When exactly should I expect the oil check feature on the bike computer to work on my R1200RT

I found that sometimes when I click the BC button to "oil" I get the "---" at first. Then, if I leave it in that position and forget it for a while, for no apparent reason and at some unpredictable time interval later, I get a check-mark.

So.. get the mini-mag light, preferably color matched, and keep it on the bike. Check oil manually before you ride.

To get an accurate reading, my understanding is that the bike has to be: 1)up to operating temperature; 2)stopped on level ground; and 3)allowed to idle for about five to ten seconds. Mine seems to give an accurate indication when those steps are followed. The most annoying thing is that the low oil indicator <!> will come on for no particular reason while riding. I've found that by keeping the oil level up to the top of the sight glass, I get fewer of these false warnings.

Brian

R12RT

Brimoon has it absolutely right. It will display --- until those conditions are met. It should then display either a tick if the oil level is OK or <!> if it needs checking. This reading should stay and not revert to ---- until the next start. Generally my <!> starts to come on when the level is half way between Min and the dot which seems a good place to recommend a check (which is all the warning does; its not a "too low" warning). Occasionally it will come on earlier, typically if I am at a slightly downhill junction, but this is rare.

I have an led light built into a leather covered fob that also functions as a key chain. Its bright works great and is always at hand.

The oil light is basically worthless in my opinion. However for the little light, I found that a mini maglite fits perfectly in the little clamp on the door of the radio compartment. I don't have a radio in mine, just a little catch-bag, don't know if the idea works if there's a radio present. Luck, GW
To get an accurate reading, my understanding is that the bike has to be: 1)up to operating temperature; 2)stopped on level ground; and 3)allowed to idle for about five to ten seconds. Mine seems to give an accurate indication when those steps are followed. The most annoying thing is that the low oil indicator <!> will come on for no particular reason while riding. I've found that by keeping the oil level up to the top of the sight glass, I get fewer of these false warnings.

Brian

R12RT

Perfect! I can't wait to give it a try. I've been sidelined by a flat tire. Yes I got a screw in the rear tire at 3rd day with the bike and 85 miles. 85 miles! *#$*%*# Last night I pulled it out and plugged it, depending on how happy the plug looks I'll either go get it replaced right away or do that at my 600 mile service.

I have come to an understanding with the oil warning system on my RT. I find that the warning comes on when the oil gets down to the midway point on the glass. Yes, I agree that this is not really low, but I add a few ounces of oil to keep it up toward the top, and it will then keep the dreaded <!> signal away.

Jay

Today the thing showed me a check when I accidentally cycled past it looking for the temperature display. At the time I was taking a freeway ramp two-up at about 50 mph in fifth. Crazy ;)

Remove the drain plug over a clean container to capture the oil. Let out a pint or so (or whatever you overfilled it by ) and then add some of the oil you drained out back in to get to the correct level. It can be a bit messy putting the drain plug back in while oil is streaming out... but it isn't that hard. I cover the oil drain with my finger to stop the flow, put the drain plug right next to my finger and then slide the drain plug in place at the exact instance I slide my finger out of place. Works pretty well.

I had to do this recently on my Corvair which only takes 4 quarts of oil and not the normal 5 and I completely went into "auto" mode and put 5 quarts in frown.gif

Joe

What can you do if you add too much oil while trying to correct a low oil level? Can you siphon some out without going through the oil change routine?

100% correct!! Oil level indicator works great if you follow the few simple steps listed by Brian and also shown in your manual. Just remember the reading is bogus unless the bike is at a standstill.

Sure get tired of reading these oil level indicator won't work threads crazy.gif

I'm finding the oil check indicator to be working correctly in pretty much any situation where the engine is at running temperature. I think my confusion before came from shutting the bike off when it was warm then flipping the ignition back on and expecting a reading.

I've found I can flip to it at a stop light and get a check from it. Visually checking the sight glass confirms it is correct so far. Seems pretty reliable so far but my bike hasn't burned any oil yet so who knows ;)

I've found I can flip to it at a stop light and get a check from it. Visually checking the sight glass confirms it is correct so far. Seems pretty reliable so far but my bike hasn't burned any oil yet so who knows ;)
My experience exactly. In fact, when the oil is clean and the level is topped off, it is really difficult to read the sight glass, even with a flashlight. I was initially a skeptic about the computer readout, but have come around to appreciate it. The only lingering doubt has to do with whether it is really reliable. Until I am completely confident with it, I will be checking my oil twice each time: once with the computer and once bending down with a flashlight for a double-check.

Archived