IGNORED

technical info required

bigboy

hey guys

i want to changethe button heads on the fairings of my 97 rt does anyone know the size required, i would like to match them at a shop but i have to get them over the internet and need to send the supplier the size of thread.

I know i should purchase a set from stock but bmw want £69.00 sterling this guy can supply for about £20.00 plus p&p and thats for 120 button heads stainless steel. (bargain)many thanks in advance guy,s if anyone want,s these fixings i will post the website.

P.S LETS HOPE WE ALL GET SOME GOOD XMAS BIKING GIFTS IN OUR STOCKING,S thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

hey guys

i want to changethe button heads on the fairings of my 97 rt does anyone know the size required, i would like to match them at a shop but i have to get them over the internet and need to send the supplier the size of thread.

I know i should purchase a set from stock but bmw want £69.00 sterling this guy can supply for about £20.00 plus p&p and thats for 120 button heads stainless steel. (bargain)many thanks in advance guy,s if anyone want,s these fixings i will post the website.

Are you talking about button head SCREWS?? If so, BMW doesn't invent their own screws. They use standard ones that are available from normal sources.

Try looking at the Faboroy (Canada) site www.faborymetrican.com/

...then click on English Catalogue.

They have a massive selection of metric fasteners, and list the DIN or ISO numbers that describe many of the standard ones. Once you know the DIN or ISO number, then that is all you need to describe the screw, other than screw size and length (such as M6 x 10, for a 6mm dia. screw that is 10mm long).

But to save you some time, are you wanting a "HEX Socket (i.e. "Allen" or "Inbus") Button Head Cap Screw"?? You really need to tell us more than that you want some "Buttons", ya know, otherwise that's exactly what you will get!

If so, then have a look at this page from the catalogue....

http://catalogue.fabory.com/en/detail.asp?id=07151

This page shows the above type in zinc plated steel. Elsewhere in the catalogue there are various stainless versions, but I'll let you look if you are interested. But in any event, the material the screw is made from has nothing to do with the ISO category. In this case, ISO 7380 describes the above type of button head socket screw, regardless of what material or finish it uses.

Bob.

The thing about the button-head screws that BMW uses is that they have a point on the threaded end (cone point), and all the readily-available button-head screws I've ever found have the threaded end squared off. The pointed end makes the BMW screws much easier to start and properly thread into the clips that hold the fairing panels on.

BMW doesn't make their own screws, but that doesn't mean that whoever makes them also sells them into a distribution channel where you can find them. Same thing with some of the electrical connectors on the bike that people have looked for replacements for - they're made by AMP (they say so right on them), there's an AMP part number, but you won't find them in any suppplier's catalog. If you went to AMP and offered to buy 100,000, you might be able to get them.

Same thing with some of the electrical connectors on the bike that people have looked for replacements for - they're made by AMP (they say so right on them), there's an AMP part number, but you won't find them in any suppplier's catalog. If you went to AMP and offered to buy 100,000, you might be able to get them.

I've been there, and done that. The connectors are not in any AMP catalogue you may have seen, because the American AMP catalogues and the European ones are often different. Years ago I wanted to purchase a specific AMP "faston" connector, and they told me the number doesn't exist. I pointed out that their trademark AND their number was stamped on the connector. It wasn't until I told them that it came from AMP Germany, that they clued in and found it was in fact available.

Most AMP connectors (including most of the ones used on Bosch modules) are available from AMP, and are not "specials". In fact, I designed in a number of the connectors used to connect to engine temperature sensors and other ancilliaries (they are called "Timer Connectors" by AMP for some unknown reason!) into a Telecom product I designed here, a couple of years ago. You just have to know where to find them (which can admittedly be difficult)!

Bob.

BB, not sure about the 1100 but the 1150 screws are S/S with an easily chipped or removed finish. Lightly chucked into a cordless drill and run against #0000 steel wool produces a smooth shinny finish in seconds.

You'll get all you need from Inox or Namrick here in the UK.

As already stated the thread is M5. There are 3 different lengths. Just pop out one of each and measure the thread length to order them.

Most of them are short. 4 each side of the tank cover, 2 each side of the Bellypan and 4 in the sharkfin area each side.

There are 4 longer ones per side. Three on the footrest plate and one by the oil cooler.

There is one very long one behind each mirror.

Archived