IGNORED

No Brake Exercise

motorman587

This is the no brake exercise. You can make slow u turns with just throttle, clutch and good body posture.

Another shot..........

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=5895&filename=100_1167.JPG

5895.jpg.ce8cb3d76e04493c949615b694665cac.jpg

slow speed training is a whole lot more difficult than it looks. Darned rewarding though with the confidence it gives you in your bike.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

22 years since spending two weeks at the CHP academy and I still kind of flinch, waiting for the scorn, if I dab the rear when cranking off a tight u-turn. Wasn't easy conditioning that out for a quad rider.

For that matter, God forbid I should glance down! "HEAD AND EYES, HEAD AND EYES"!

22 years since spending two weeks at the CHP academy and I still kind of flinch, waiting for the scorn, if I dab the rear when cranking off a tight u-turn. Wasn't easy conditioning that out for a quad rider.

For that matter, God forbid I should glance down! "HEAD AND EYES, HEAD AND EYES"!

Keeping off the rear brake was easy on the KZ1000P "dirt bikes" we had when I went through the academy in the summer of '89.

I have since acquired the bad habit of using the rear brake as a crutch.

DSCN0133.jpg

Keeping off the rear brake was easy on the KZ1000P "dirt bikes" we had when I went through the academy in the summer of '89.

I have since acquired the bad habit of using the rear brake as a crutch.

DSCN0133.jpg

What can't I get my pictures to post like that??? Maybe a mod can help please? lol

CoarsegoldKid

I recently had the opportunity to practice slow speed skills. My instructor is very experienced at this as he as be taught by the motor officers of Fresno, Ca. I was having two issues. First my eyes wanted to wander toward the pavement. When I made a conscious effort to look at the horizon in the direction I wanted things went better. However the second issue was clutch engagement which was far more difficult to master on my 83K miles clutch. I tried the same course with a new GS Adventure and was pleased with the outcome. Perhaps a new clutch would help as there was a great deal of difference between how the two bikes responded at full lock. No brakes were applied. No doubt more practice would help .

As for how to get get your pics to post there are instructions somewhere on this forum. Basically pics are uploaded to the hosting site. I use Picasa. Picasa provides a link to the pic which you place in the forum post.

I recently had the opportunity to practice slow speed skills. My instructor is very experienced at this as he as be taught by the motor officers of Fresno, Ca. I was having two issues. First my eyes wanted to wander toward the pavement. When I made a conscious effort to look at the horizon in the direction I wanted things went better. However the second issue was clutch engagement which was far more difficult to master on my 83K miles clutch. I tried the same course with a new GS Adventure and was pleased with the outcome. Perhaps a new clutch would help as there was a great deal of difference between how the two bikes responded at full lock. No brakes were applied. No doubt more practice would help .

As for how to get get your pics to post there are instructions somewhere on this forum. Basically pics are uploaded to the hosting site. I use Picasa. Picasa provides a link to the pic which you place in the forum post.

I guess I need more pratice on downloading pictures. lol My hats off to you for practicingh the slow speed stuff. But remember the stuff that will save a life is the crash avoidance exerices, so do not forget that. Braking, braking in a curve and negotiating a curve.

CoarsegoldKid

I certainly agree with accident avoidance stuff. The slow speed stuff is really prep for tight U-turns on narrow roads. LEOs have other needs that are not for civilians. I wouldn't expect they teach my riding skills in LEO motor school. Doesn't hurt to practice.

LEO motor schools teach low speed because that's where most of the accidents happen. It also separates riders who can and can't ride.

Also remember to practice the 40mph decel and the 35 mph cone weave.

You problem may not be the clutch, but rather the difference in rear drive gearing between an RT and a GSA.

I don't think 1. and 2. gear are equal on those two models.

CoarsegoldKid
LEO motor schools teach low speed because that's where most of the accidents happen.

The Fresno PD officers told me it was because they ride where no one should be riding as between parked cars, through apartment building, over lawns, on sidewalks chasing the bad guys. I guess the CHP have a different agenda with the same skill.

It also separates riders who can and can't ride.

So if the fastest road racers in the world fail the cones does that mean they can't ride?

LEO motor schools teach low speed because that's where most of the accidents happen.

The Fresno PD officers told me it was because they ride where no one should be riding as between parked cars, through apartment building, over lawns, on sidewalks chasing the bad guys. I guess the CHP have a different agenda with the same skill.

It also separates riders who can and can't ride.

So if the fastest road racers in the world fail the cones does that mean they can't ride?

Everyone in my CHP motor school could ride fast but only 60% could ride slow. The other 40% washed out and got to drive a Crown Vic.

Your FPD example supports what I am saying, low speed riding is where most accidents happen.

We teach the training triangle and it has three components to be a successfull police motorcycle officer, however these components can also apply to all of us. First there is slow cone exercises, which builds on skills and confidence on handle a motorcycle at slow speed. Second, avoidence exercises, which can not be build until the slow speed has be met. The better slow rider one becomes the more confidence the rider becomes at high speed. Three is street sense. Riding on the street watching and anticipating road hazards. You must practice all three, to become a better successfull rider. It is all how you what you feel is important to you. If you believe that you are all ready a great rider, because you have been riding for years, great, but I believe we each, even me (that is why I did the demo's on my RT) to get/become better. We all have a toolbox of skills and never hurts to get more tools for the right job or bush up on skills.

I whole heartily agree. You can never learn to much and you should never stop trying to learn.

I whole heartedly agree.

However . . .

Practice makes perfect.

Nope. Practice makes permanent. Practice the 'wrong' thing, and that's what you'll do in those 'no time to think' situations.

Instead, practice the perfect. Have a clear idea in your mind of what you should be doing, strive for that, each and every time.

I whole heartily agree. You can never learn to much and you should never stop trying to learn.

I whole heartedly agree.

However . . .

Practice makes perfect.

Nope. Practice makes permanent. Practice the 'wrong' thing, and that's what you'll do in those 'no time to think' situations.

Instead, practice the perfect. Have a clear idea in your mind of what you should be doing, strive for that, each and every time.

Yes, of course it is most important to practice the proper way of doing things. :dopeslap:

• 3 weeks later...

I do try to practice slow speed maneuvers whenever needed sans brakes, but I like to avoid the brake when moving too. We made a trip down Highway one from Point Lobos through the miles of twisties. I felt the best when I had not used the brake in 40 or more miles. Luck, lack of cagers, proper speed into curves and good use of gears and clutch can make the brake unnecessary.

BigSurBikeTrip064R.jpg

We are going back in April and I can't wait to erase some chicken strips.

Practice makes permanent. Practice the 'wrong' thing, and that's what you'll do in those 'no time to think' situations.

Yes, in boot camp we were told, "Practice makes perfect, but if you practice wrong you'll be perfectly wrong." !!! That's something I've passed on to my kids.

---John.

Practice makes permanent. Practice the 'wrong' thing, and that's what you'll do in those 'no time to think' situations.

Yes, in boot camp we were told, "Practice makes perfect, but if you practice wrong you'll be perfectly wrong." !!! That's something I've passed on to my kids.

---John.

:) Now tell Bernie . . .

I'm with you Mark. I try to control the bike with gears and the clutch, no braking unless I have to...so far so good.

I hope you are not slowing the bike with the clutch - even a little 'speed matching - that will wear out the clutch lining in double-quick time. I speak from experience - I wore out an RT clutch in 30K miles doing just that.

Use gear-changes and closed throttles - just do not slip the clutch to slow the bike.

Swapping brake pads is an easy and relatively cheap job. Swapping the cluch disk is 8-hours of shop time to a dealer.

Andy

Archived