Sign in to follow this  
Steiney

Bike died, no start, no fuel pump sound

Steiney

2003 R1150RT, 42k, owned it for the last 2-1/2 years and 13k, no maintenance done recently (2-3k miles ago), daily rider - hasn't been sitting around at all.

So I'm heading to work last night and waiting at a red light when the bike died. I tried a restart with negative results. There's plenty of juice (1 yr old Odyssey) and plenty of crank from the starter but no fuel pump noise when key is turned on.

I swapped out the fuel pump fuse and relay with known good ones and still no luck. I turned off the Techlusion that's been on the bike for the last 10k miles as well. All other electronics(lights, RID, stereo, windscreen, brakes, etc.) seem to be fine.

In gear with the sidestand down the RID is blacked out as it should be, when placed in neutral or sidestand up the RID lights up as it should but still no fuel pump.

I find it strange for the pump itself to fail so soon and I would suspect the hoses would go before the pump did. I also assume that if it were a hose issue the pump would still be heard - is this correct?

Before I go tearing into wiring diagrams and fuel tank disassembly, I figured I'd throw this out there to see if there is anything I'm missing or if this rings a bell to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks...

dirtrider

Afternoon Steiney

Are you sure the fuel pump doesn't run for a VERY SHORT time at key on (only). If definitely no pump running then you either have pump problems or something wrong with the pump supply power or trigger circuits.

To be sure pull a fuel line at one of the injectors & point into a jar then key on.

Maybe not a bad pump or pump circuit. --Can you smell gasoline at the rear of the muffler outlet? If so your problem is more than likely the Techlusion. Especially if you just washed the bike have ridden in heavy rain.

If the Techlusion has failed you need to COMPLETELY disconnect the Techlusion harness at the R/H fuel injector connector as just turning it off usually won't stop it's over-fueling.

IF, you do smell heavy gasoline fumes in the muffler then disconnect the Techlusion, then remove both spark plugs & replace them or clean & dry you old ones, then re-assemble & try holding the throttle wide open while cranking for a few seconds.

If the Techlusion turns out to be your problem remember to change the engine oil after you get it started as a lot of that raw fuel went past the rings & into the engine oil.

Steiney

Thank you D.R., sound advice as always. The only thing I hear when turning the key is the brakes. One thing I forgot to check so far is the electrical connector going to the tank. I'll check that first then start with checking spray and removing the Techlusion. Hopefully I can find some time in the next week to do so. When I do I'll be sure to post the results.

dirtrider

Morning Steiney

A few quick checks with a meter or test light will save a lot of disassembly & guessing time.

Check fuse #6 for 12v power on both sides of fuse.--This verifies battery power to fuel pump relay.

Check for 12v power on green wire at one of the fuel injectors (key on, side stand up, kill switch ON.-- This can tell you if pump realy is powering the pump circuit.

Now check for 12v power at terminal 30 in the fuel pump relay socket (you need 12v power there for pump to operate)

If you have the above then jumper terminal 30 to terminal 87 in the fuel pump relay socket. Does the pump now run? If yes then you have pump relay, or wire circuit, or Motronic issues. If the pump doesn't run then you have pump issues, or pump grounding issues, or problems in the wire circuits between the pump relay & the pump itself.

At least you will know where to start looking.

Edited by dirtrider

Steiney

UPDATE:

- Techlusion turned off and disconnected at right injector (did not disconnect O2 plug connector yet as the tank is still on)

- 12v at both sides of fuse #6

- 12v at the fuel injector for only 1-2 seconds once the key is turned on with the relay in but constant power when the relay is jumped (Am I right in thinking this is because the Motronic senses the engine is not running and doesn't tell the fuel pump relay to turn on again?)

- 12v at terminal #30 of fuel pump relay

- Pump still doesn't sound like it's turning on

- Pulled both plugs - bone dry

- Pulled an injector and no squirt when key turned on

So, before I pull the tank, does all of this sound like a bad fuel pump or should I be looking somewhere else first...?

dirtrider

Evening Steiney

- 12v at both sides of fuse #6 ----

This is good & normal

- 12v at the fuel injector for only 1-2 seconds once the key is turned on with the relay in but constant power when the relay is jumped (Am I right in thinking this is because the Motronic senses the engine is not running and doesn't tell the fuel pump relay to turn on again?)----

Yes, that is correct, the injectors & fuel pump only come on for a couple of seconds at key-on then shut down until the engine is actually cranking or running.

- 12v at terminal #30 of fuel pump relay ----

This is also good & normal

- Pump still doesn't sound like it's turning on----

Looking more like a pump issue.

- Pulled both plugs - bone dry----

Again looks like pump not producing.

So, before I pull the tank, does all of this sound like a bad fuel pump or should I be looking somewhere else first...?----

It sure sounds like a bad fuel pump or open circuit between the pump & pump relay or a bad pump ground.

Steiney

Thanks D.R.,

I forgot to mention that the voltage at the injector corresponded to the green/white wire at the tank harness as well so I think the circuit is good (at least to the point where it enters the tank).

I will check all the lines on the pump for damage/issues when I pull it.

How do I test the pump ground?

Also, I may as well do the filter relocate mod if I'm going to pull the pump I suppose...

Selden

Just going down the list of things to check. Have you ever replaced the fuel filter?

Steiney

I personally have not, BUT, I got the bike with 29K and the services were up to date from the previous/original owner. All work was done at Bob's BMW and if I'm not mistaken the fuel filter should have been replaced at 40,000km or about 25,000mi. I can't say for sure if it was though. It will be replaced, regardless, when I swap the pump. After doing some more digging, I think I'll leave the filter inside the tank though...

Jim Moore

I just had the exact same problem. Turned out I had pinched the wires to the side stand switch when I replaced the starter.

dirtrider
I just had the exact same problem. Turned out I had pinched the wires to the side stand switch when I replaced the starter.

Morning Jim

It doesn't sound like the "exact" same problem as Steiney has power to his fuel injectors as well as a powered up fuel pump relay. With a side stand switch/wire issue he wouldn't have either.

Jim Moore
Morning Jim

It doesn't sound like the "exact" same problem as Steiney has power to his fuel injectors as well as a powered up fuel pump relay. With a side stand switch/wire issue he wouldn't have either.

Sorry, I didn't read close enough. I'm still pissed that I spent half an afternoon pulling and testing my fuel pump due to the pinched wire, lol.

Steiney

UPDATE:

New fuel pump & filter in - the bike runs!!! Nothing appeared out of sorts in the tank as far as hoses & elecrical go so I'm assuming the pump was indeed bad although I haven't bench tested it. I replaced the hoses on the fuel pump assembly as well with submersible fuel line while I was in there. New air filter & oil change as well while the tupperware was off.

Thank you so much to D.R. & the others who responded - this forum is absolutely awesome! Kudos to BeemerBoneyard as well - ordered the fuel filter kit one day and had it the next with standard shipping.

Rocer

Great sleuthing! I'd still be interesting in hearing the results of the bench test of the old pump. Also, what did you find in the gas filter upon removal? Are the stock hoses not submersible rated?

Steiney

I will get around to testing the pump & cracking the filter and let you know. The "stock" hoses are submersible but I got the hose from NAPA; therefore, I couldn't just use plain fuel line...