IGNORED

Exhaust coatings

ericfoerster

I just got my pipes back from HPC coatings and I am very pleased with the results. I thought I'd throw some pics up for those who are on the fence.

Both pipes for 150.00 and they return shipped for free.

I had them done in the HiPerCoat-Polished aluminum.

hp4.jpg

hp2.jpg

hp3.jpg

I got up this morning to throw them on before work....not! The heater has been running in the garage for two hours and it has not heated up one bit blush.gif

hp5.jpg

Nice looking pipes but I'm interested in how easy do they scratch up? The coating that we've use isn't like a powdercoating and scratches way do easily. frown.gif

Ain't ceramic coating great clap.gif

Mine are two years young and still looking good. They loose the luster after awhile, but are far mo'betta than not coating them.

I was wondering what's so special about the HPC coating than Performance Coatings to justify twice the cost difference? Performance Coating did both small header pieces on the RT for 65.00. The finish I chose was what they call Chromex and it is a polished finish identical to your choice.

They look great....yer gonna like it grin.gif

Mike, I did not price them first...I guess I should have dopeslap.gif

I am very happy with the finish. I put them this afternoon with no mechanic caused scratches grin.gif

Ain't ceramic coating great clap.gif

Mine are two years young and still looking good. They loose the luster after awhile, but are far mo'betta than not coating them.

I've been interested in this for awhile...do you have a pic after the 2 years of wear you can post?

I've been interested in this for awhile...do you have a pic after the 2 years of wear you can post?

Yes I can, however it will have to wait. I'm loading the truck tommorrow to move up to our mountain home. I'll be back in a week or so and the bikes will stay here. PM me to remind me and I'll snap a shot for you.

They turn a little gray at the exit of the head and lose some of the luster. But it still looks better than not coating them. thumbsup.gif

Nice looking pipes but I'm interested in how easy do they scratch up? The coating that we've use isn't like a powdercoating and scratches way do easily. frown.gif

Jerry, I've had the pipes on on two Harleys coated by an outfit up here in Seattle. The finish is brushed (not bright) aluminum on one and semi-gloss black on the other.

The finish is very tough. It can be scratched by sharp metal objects, but I've not had any trouble with scratches otherwise. As Mac says, over time heat will change the finish in the first couple inches beyond the exhaust port, but it'll stay the same color.

If you want to go all the way, have the inside coated as well - but if the pipe's not brand new the company will charge you for the thorough cleaning that must take place before coating. It'll make small difference (dyno diff,not seat of pants) by keeping some heat in the exhaust pulses rather than radiating it out the pipes' surface.

It might also keep you from melting your plastic if you let the thing idle too long - the exterior tube temp on mine dropped about 20 degrees after coating. It was an unscientific measurement - I didn't control for amibient temp, etc, but both readings were taken on a Seattle summer day with the same infrared gauge.

Pilgrim

Archived